Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see on other sites, threads that deal with online ordering. And I do not want to respond to them and vent, because it doesnt answer their original question, and I don't want to be rude, so I am going to vent here and find out opinions.
I see alot of online stores selling paint,flooring,and whatever, and I am wondering if this is something you think will hurt you eventually?
I wonder if these people wonder why their economy in their state is going to the dogs.
When Home depot got into the game of flooring, it doesnt really affect me too much because a home depot customer is not my customer, nor do I want them to be. But this issue with ordering online really gets to me.
I would rather have a client go buy at home depot rather than online, because at least somebody employed at home depot can keep getting checks.
Do you think there is enough room for all this online stuff, or do you think it hurts the economy, and people should have more respect for their state and their states goods and employees.
I buy alot of Alaskan products just for that reason, and I KNOW it affects the economy when I do.
I know budgets rule, but what good does it do to save a few bucks, but be out of a job because the 10,000 you just spent online went to Georgia, instead of a store in town who supplies the goods, who pays the employees, who buy the cars, that gives money to the dealership who's owner calls you to paint his house. Do you think some guy from Georgia is going to get the money back to you?
AAAAARRRGGHHH....
what do you think? Am I a screwball or do I have a point.
Back in the old days, even WAY back in the OLD OLD days, back when towns were just starting, it was impossible in alot of areas for the money to escape, and towns were just booming because of it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You have a point. I've got a similar beef about Wal-mart. It appears that almost everything they have has come from China. While that's good for the Chinese, who were the manufacturers that they replaced? I'd bet most of these were local. I wonder what the people who were employed by these companies are doing now.

When Henry Ford was setting up his auto assembly plants, he paid wages that were considerably higher than normal. When asked why he wasn't saving money by paying "competitive" wages, he replied that he wanted his workers to be able to afford to buy his cars. I think that wisdom is unfortunately considered very old-fashioned.

Call me an idealist (maybe even an idiot), but I check where the stuff that I want to buy is made, and if I have a choice, I'll buy something that is locally made. After all, the money I spend on goods and services, should allow someone else to buy my stuff.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
I'll absolutely agree with you. I think in most cases it's the big stores killing the "smaller" stores and mom & Pop shops. In your area I don't know how many big stores are moving in but around here it's rampant! We have a Home Depot and a Lowes 2 bolcks apart! On Long Island Home Depots are around the corner from each other. Forbid someone has to drive 5 or 10 miles to get to one. It seems like they are even competing with themselves.
We had a Wal-Mart super center 2 blocks from a K-Mart super center, along with 3 big supermarkets. I say had, the Big-K closed due to thier downsizing.
In most cases I shop at my local lumber yard (yes, we do still have one and their prices are <i>lower</i> then HD), my local hardware store (small shop, has everything), local auto parts store, etc., all locally owned and operated.
I don't really think the internet has a big impact at all around here. For me it's only things I can't get locally or are WAY cheaper online. There's also E-bay ;) , aren't we all adicted?

Here's how I feel about Wally World:

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
What's the problem with ordering online? Why not take advantage of that yourself? Buy your supplies on the cheap. We get gutter screen for half the cost of anywhere I can find from a brick and mortar store.

I don't think it hurts the economy, it is the economy or at least an extension of it. What about mail order? What about phone orders? You call your supplier. Tell them what you need. They deliver it. You install it.

So now wha't the difference between a phone call and e-mail?

This is a global economy. I drive a car made in some Asian country because my boss bought it but also it was rated as the best by consumer reports and is cheaper than any american. Why would I buy a car rated 5 or 6 that costs more than the car rated #1?

I hire local contractors, because I know the money stays local. They spend it locally, their employees are local etc... Now think about it this way; If you don't know who's getting the money, why doest it matter if it's some schmuck in a high rise down town or in a high rise in China. If it's a better quality product and costs less then it's a no brainer. PERIOD.

I don't check where my merchandise is made. I check consumer reports. If an american manufacturer can't make a better product why should I support them? I am an American. I love America. I am not stupid and have no plans on tossing my money away.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
I read a report about a month ago that said over 50% of all technology jobs will go overseas in the next 7 years! Technology itself makes this possible and therefore it only makes sense that instead of paying people huge salaries here they will pay a fraction of that in India or somewhere else.

India is to technology what China was to manufacturing . The people there are educated and cheap!

This is one of the great things about the service industry, you can't take it overseas!

One thing we are not exempt from however is large companies starting to sell services out of their stores. Some of you may not worry about this but I do.

Home Depot could easily start a service company and have a booth in every store selling their services. They could have Home Depot vans running all over town doing work, and the marketing power they would have would be huge.

I’m not talking about the service they have now where they use subs to do work, I mean the whole deal.

It’s just like the old mom and pop stores… if a big player like that really went after the service industry I think they could cause some trouble.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
When I was in the tech industry I used Indian and polich guys as suybcontractors for tasks I didn't know how to do or didn't have time to do... and I got the work done for half the cost that it would have cost me for American help.

Nate said "this is one of the grea things about the service industry..."

I've always had the thought for years American will boil down to service, fast food (which is service) and executives.

Home Depot subs their work out, and as flor said... A home depot customer is not my customer. Actually they are my customers, or soon to be. I am on the teritory waiting list for home depot and lowes. If you can't beat them tear them apart from the inside.

I'm fairly confident the reason Home depot etc.. use subs is the liabillity. They don't want to be responsible for tearing down a roof then burning down the house when trying to torch down a modified roof.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone brings up some really good points, and I do admit that someday I probably will order a few things off the internet. And you cannot be for sure where the money is going ALL the time.
But when I can, I will try to keep it not only in the U.S. but right here in my state if I can help it.
If the product is a couple bucks more, or doesnt taste AS good as another, I still may buy the product that comes from my state, just because I know it makes a difference. But let's face it, no matter what, money goes all over and escapes all the time, you could hire a contractor who is russian, and he sends 1/2 his paycheck to his family back home, or you could buy an american car, but all the parts were made in china.
I feel though, that if more people payed attention to what products come from their state (apples, ice cream, tools, wood, beer, or whatever), then there would be an impact if those products are purchased more. a DIRECT impact, or at least a more direct impact.
I came up here from Oregon where the economy is pretty trashed, it doesnt have to do with this, but I came up here with a feeling that there is more I can do to support my fellow Alaskan's.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Florcraft said:
I feel though, that if more people payed attention to what products come from their state... then there would be an impact if those products are purchased more. a DIRECT impact, or at least a more direct impact.
I don't think I should feel ashamed when I buy a superior product for less money. What's really sad is that for how advanced we claim to be, these cheap imports keep trashing our domestic products. That's the real problem.

I must admit when it comes to beer I go by flavor only. It's well known American beer is watered down. If I get a better buzz from a beer made in Germany or Poland and it taster richer and more flavorfull, why would I buy a miller lite?

Overpaid executives jacking up the price of their products and cutting corners at every opportunity to inflate their pockets are the ones ruining the economy. They then run multi-million dollar add campaigns to "Buy American" (remember back in the 80's?) If they had spent those millions making a superior product they wount have to brain wash us into feeling ashamed to buy a better product because it was made somewhere else.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm...interesting thoughts, I can agree with alot of that. In fact if you want the best Salmon, then get on the net and start buying our stuff! :)
I guess the real question that has multiple answers would be, where is the line drawn when someone chooses one product over the other. In other words, when would someone choose one product over the other based on economic reasons. Most people probably do not care, and will go off price or taste or whatever, and I admit I do too.

I have not really put a whole lotta thought into this, and I am finding it very interesting.
I guess there shouldnt be a responsibility for people to get educated on what products benefit their particuliar state, but I also feel that if your not educated or you dont care, then if you contribute as a consumer it would be on accident, and I am not sure how I feel about that.
I guess I feel that I do have a responsibility to help as a consumer, in keeping the money locally when I can or care. When I see a store go out of business because they cannot compete with the net or the big box stores, it tans my hide a bit.
And I know if I am not carefull, it could be me next.
good points grumpy....keep it up!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Flor, I guess it comes down to what is your goal when purchains a new product. Some people have brand loyalty. They only buy fords or chevys or sony or zneith etc... Some people, like my father, won't own a foreign car no matter what.

Heck if they can;t compete with the net why didn't they go global? Anyone can go global. Anyone can sell anything online. It's cheap too with sites like ebay and shopping.yahoo. Nobody has the right to go out of business for that reason. The real underlying reason is they didn't know how to deal with change. The internet is the worlds best marketing tool. That's like saying: "I went out of business because I refused to advertise and my phone number is unlisted."

Man don't get me wrong. It's good that you care... I just don;t think it's your responsibility to care.

When I used to design web sites, I used to tell people "Your only as big as you appear, when your on the internet." I could take one man operations and make them appear as if they were huge multi national conglomirates. We get most of our leads form the Internet.

I always said w women w work and w what's the last w?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts