Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well,
A while back I was talking about the Frank Lloyd Wright
Darwin D. Martin House Complex http://culturalniagara.com/darwinmartin.html . There is a major restoration going on with the house and that possibility that I may get the opportunity to work on it came to fruition! I got the call this afternoon asking if I was interested and it would be a 3 month commitment.
I said yes and I agreed to the terms, what an honor!:thumbsup: I am working under John Hulley from Hulley Woodworking. His company is in charge of all the trim, moldings, windows, anything to do with the wood interior which is what I will be working on with him.

I will be posting pictures of the process of the restoration , what's being done, etc,etc,etc here- ( I have to get approval) and will post pics if it's ok with him. I am supposed to start the first week of July but I am going to have to delay that for a week- I have a lot of loose ends and schedule rearranging to do I guess-:eek::laughing:

I can't pass this up, not this- just a lot of juggling to do in the meantime....:laughing:

This is going to be interesting to say the least....

B,

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Thanks Guys,:thumbsup: I don't think pictures will be a problem but I just want to get it OK'ed with him.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

B,

·
Fortune and glory, kid.
2,284 Posts
Good on you for scoring such a plum gig! What a gas to be able to go to a historic spot like that and point to parts of it and say, I did that. :clap::clap::clap:

I love the old Wright buildings, that is freakin' awesome for you! :thumbup:

If you don't post a metric a**load of pictures on this one you won't get into Heaven, just sayin'. :whistling

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
That's awesome Brian:thumbsup:

Reading your post (and your smilies lol), I can feel your thrill, and it made me think of that old adage-

'Love what you do, and blah blah blah, blah!'

Now... just don't f' it up:laughing:

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you guys,:thumbsup:

Yea- I really want to get as many pictures of this. There is countless packaged and tagged moldings & trims already stored away on shelves-just a mammoth amount- I can get pictures of this for sure, and like I said I probably won't have any issues getting pictures while we are working but I need to get approval first.

this is a huge opportunity and definitely a feather to stick in my hat. I already know it's a very detailed and documented process - I'll know more of what phase we are working on when I talk with John during the week- I am picking up a 3hp 3ph old motor for my American #1 16" buzz planer from him....he's a OWWM freak as well.....:thumbup: it doesn't get any better,.....:laughing::thumbup:

Thanks - I had to share the news with you guys, I was busting.I hope some day you as well will have the same opportunity as I have had....:thumbsup:

B,

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Congrats on the contract! I bet it'll be a blast. It's a testament to your love of restoration detail, & woodworking talents.:thumbsup:
Joe

1 - 20 of 160 Posts