Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Construction Superintende
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been out of work for a while now and I am tired of Companys telling me I am over qualified. So I was thinking of starting my own GC company, where I would be the only employee and I would sub out all the work. I do not know what I need to do to get this started,please help (Register ?, Name ?, Insurance ?) as you can see any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Nest Home Improvement
890 Posts
Perhaps you could give a bit more detail on your background and experience and what sort of work you plan to do. To be a GC in most states you need to licensed. I would check on your particular states licensing requirements as a first step.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have been out of work for a while now and I am tired of Companys telling me I am over qualified. So I was thinking of starting my own GC company, where I would be the only employee and I would sub out all the work. I do not know what I need to do to get this started,please help (Register ?, Name ?, Insurance ?) as you can see any help would be greatly appreciated.
Good luck, but you might be paying to join the ranks of other starving GCs. Do you have any skills other than in construction?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
First how much money do you have and what kind of assets?

Next the insurance is going to kill you if you sub out everything, the insurance companies do not like what we call "paper contactors" who sub out everything. They want someone who is hands on and knows what they are doing. They have had a lot of problems with this because the GC did not know what they were doing and did not know how to oversee the subs work or even know if they were doing it right. And thus lots of insurance claims, etc.

And even if you do know everything about every phase of construction and sub everything out, the insurance will still kill you until you have a track record.

Edit: Saw you other post.

Your experience will help a lot, but the insurance companies still will not like subbing out all the work until you have a track record.

I did a quick Google search, it looks like there is not a state wide contractors license except for a few specialty trades like electrical, plumbing, hvac, etc.

Looks like you will need a license in each county and city that you will work in. From what I found each juridiction will need a $25,000 bond, and insurance that also lists them as additional insured and a certificate holder. You probably also need business licenses, etc.

Look like you are near Cleveland, so here is a link to a Cleveland general contractors license application.
http://portal.cleveland-oh.gov/clnd_images/Buildinghousing/GeneralContractorPackage.pdf

Also I looked at other cities/counties in Ohio and they all seemed to have the same requirements. Don't know if you could get one bond to cover all jurisditions or would have to get a separate one for each.

The first thing you need to do if you have the assets, is to talk to a insurance company/broker that specializes in contractors, etc. Find out what the insurance is going to cost, etc.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Jim - welcome to CT.

Kgmz summed up a good amount, and even did some internet searching for you.

When you say you will sub out everything - are you talking just licensed trades like plumbing, electric, HVAC, and you will handle everything else? Or will you have carpentry subs, window subs, etc, etc.

Also, all your experience seems to be commercial, are you planning on being a residential GC. If so, how do you plan on making the transition with no past experience?

·
Construction Superintende
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My most recient experience is in commercial but I have worked on both sides, residential and Commercial. I have not figured all the fine details yet, I am just looking for some input from people that have already been through starting a company. Do you have to regester the name of the company, and how do you do that? It would be a small business, just myself. Approx what would the insurance cost, I don,t have a ton of cash. I really was just thinking of starting this company because I had had people ask me to do some work for them, it would most likly be just a side business for awhile. Again any help or sugestions would be great and thanks to all who have replied already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts