Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bid a job on a bath remodel and came in a bit less then the others. The thing is that I listened to what the customer wanted. The bids she got all where tile surround, tile floor, granite top, custom vanity, brushed nickel fixtures, gut the bath down to the studs, none of which she truley wanted. I gave her my opinion on what I would do but said ultimately its is your bathroom. She was happy with the bid when I went over it with her but said she still isnt set on doing anything yet. After a week or so she calls and tells me that another contractor that bid on the job, the contractor said "I wouldn't go with them, and more or less said they are hacks and do poor work." I was f'n' livid. I started to get the shakes I was so pissed. She is going with my company for the work. I am not a big operation that has huge overhead and gave her a bid on what she wanted not things to drive up the cost. Does this make me some damn lowballer for not trying to push higher cost items, that she didnt want?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Let me get this straight, the homeowner didn't hire you because one of your competitors told her that you are a hack???

·
Boss Man
37 Posts
Keep your cool, and tell the prospect what you said here. For her, it's like walking into a dealership looking for a ranger pickup and hearing that you really need a peterbilt with a widescreen TV and satellite.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh no I am meeting her tomorrow to sign papers. She was letting me know what they said. It pissed her off that they are trying to bad mouth people to get a job

·
Registered
124 Posts
FINALLY! A homeowner sees through the bullsh*t. Congrats on the job.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks. I dont see myself as a hack or lowballer but with what that contractor said and the way everyone screams bloody muder around here it made me wonder.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
How about Signs of not being the low baller -

All your tools are working and are of professional grade
All your vehicles are working, insured, maintenance is up to date
You have GL insurance and WC insurance if required
Your licensed and up to date
You're pulling permits if required
You have a minimum of 25-30% gross profit in the job
You're paying yourself a market wage on par with your position with your company and your duties
Your employees are all legal and being paid living wages
Company is showing a minimum net profit of 10%
etc... etc.. etc...

The number she finds acceptable is irrelevant, the scope of work is irrelevant. Customers don't determine anything in regard to this.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. But you could help dispel the notion by filling in your profile.

Truth is that nobody can accurately judge anything from a single short post, so ask yourself again and really listen to the answer.

But think about what you did post. What kind of guy needs to say something negative about the competition? Why does it upset you?

Has the woman hired the other guy or is there an opportunity for you to save this one? You might ask her if you did quote it the way she wanted it completed or did you miss something and maybe need to requote more accurately. Possibly she wants what they quoted and is using your quote to drive them down. Possibly she has suspicions concerning you and was testing.

At any rate, you can't control what somebody else does or says. You play your game, let them play theirs, give your best shot and move on. When you do win a contract you make damn sure that the client has the best experience you can deliver and they will sing your praises for you. We all toot our own horn but the music is mush sweeter from some one else's horn.

Don't worry about what you can't control, pay close attention to what you can.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The other contractor bad mouthing me upsets me
a)bad mouthing anyone without cause is wrong
b)I dont want my name tainted

90% of my work is referals or repeat customers. I make sure every customer I walk away is over joyed with the job

Mike:

everything you said is a check, except maybe not my company showing a 10% net, the way this year has been and reinvesting in my company

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe, maybe not. But you could help dispel the notion by filling in your profile.

Truth is that nobody can accurately judge anything from a single short post, so ask yourself again and really listen to the answer.

But think about what you did post. What kind of guy needs to say something negative about the competition? Why does it upset you?

Has the woman hired the other guy or is there an opportunity for you to save this one? You might ask her if you did quote it the way she wanted it completed or did you miss something and maybe need to requote more accurately. Possibly she wants what they quoted and is using your quote to drive them down. Possibly she has suspicions concerning you and was testing.

At any rate, you can't control what somebody else does or says. You play your game, let them play theirs, give your best shot and move on. When you do win a contract you make damn sure that the client has the best experience you can deliver and they will sing your praises for you. We all toot our own horn but the music is mush sweeter from some one else's horn.

Don't worry about what you can't control, pay close attention to what you can.

Good Luck
Dave

I was pretaining to this not lowballer

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
The contractor shouldn't have ripped you to the homeowner. He may rip on you here at CT but he should have never said anything other than the fine services he provides.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The contractor shouldn't have ripped you to the homeowner. He may rip on you here at CT but he should have never said anything other than the fine services he provides.

Exactly, he took a huge gamble in doing so, & luckily for you, he lost.

I wouldn't take it too personally, though, as who doesn't feel there work/scope/estimate is superior to the other bidders?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
thanks. I dont see myself as a hack or lowballer but with what that contractor said and the way everyone screams bloody muder around here it made me wonder.
Two different words.

If you meet ALL the requirements of operating a legit business(as you said you did) and you do quality work giving someone a lower bid does NOT make you a hack.

If you choose a lower profit margine than theirs it's not your prob.

What's WRONG is rather then him selling the customer as to why she should choose him based on HIS attributes he chose to slander you.

As livid as you are,if given a chance to bid against him in the future TAKE THE HIGH ROAD! DO NOT talk bad or ellude to his prices being "unreasonably high."

SELL YOU don't anti-sell him!

·
Structural Engineer
513 Posts
The worst thing I've ever said to a client about another contractor is "hmm, I've heard of them but we don't normally run into them too much on bid walks" or "never heard of them."

And trust me, there are some real characters in my market that hold all sorts of insider records (fastest to be kicked off a job site, most drunks on a job site at one time, most WOTC workers on a job site, most illegals, etc). But as policy, we keep our yaps shut about the competition's dirty laundry. We've learned that in a majority of cases, that policy ultimately pays off for us in the end.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Bingo...100 to 1 she wants what the other guys are bidding but thinking this guy is a dumbie. You better go over the scope of work in detail just to make sure shes not forgetting anything. Most will add some odds and ends (the things they want to drop on you after the fact) Ive already had 2 customers this season try that crap with me, but I saved face by going the extra mile and explaining everything to the homeowner at signing.. and of course they add things =) All those customers insisted on tipping me for a job well done and exceeding their expectations</p>

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bingo...100 to 1 she wants what the other guys are bidding but thinking this guy is a dumbie. You better go over the scope of work in detail just to make sure shes not forgetting anything. Most will add some odds and ends (the things they want to drop on you after the fact) Ive already had 2 customers this season try that crap with me, but I saved face by going the extra mile and explaining everything to the homeowner at signing.. and of course they add things =) All those customers insisted on tipping me for a job well done and exceeding their expectations</p>
Not sure what you mean about that? I had some damn good inside info before going to look at it on what she was looking for. I did the bid for what she wanted and spelled out to me what she wanted. If her mind were to change so would the bid

·
Siding Windows Doors
378 Posts
When other bidders say things to a customer to cast doubt on the abilities of another bidder its usually just a sales tactic. Being a craftsman, I used to take it personally but now don't care, especially if I sell the job. My reference list speaks for itself. When confronted by a customer who tells me I got the job but some one said this and that, I usually just smile and say some thing like wow.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
csv - glad to hear you have a good customer (s).....I'm with you 100% on low overhead and being fair with those you do work for. I always sleep well knowing my work is never questionable and people are happy and not wishing they had vasoline.

I too have been ran down by guys who lost work to me and have put a some out of work. When I find someone who talks crap I do a licence search and go from there, it's amazing how many crap talkers have claims and legal problems. 1 guy had 15 claims on his lic so I ran a $10 PSA add in the thrifty nickel and a $25 add in the paper to warn the public, 1 month later he moved to NY. Nothing deflamotory just his known aliases, lic number, and a link to his CID page for the state.

Be sure to leave 2 or 3 of your cards with the anyone you work for, and friends or neighbors who stop by to check things out, I stay busy and never advertise. The great thing is I know when someone calls they need work done and arent just after freeby ideas or wasting my time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts