Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wow after seein some of your prices on here i am leaving dorthy in oz and headin for the hills... Heck here in kansas the price is 135 a sq off and on for heritage, and 125 for 3 tab that includes tearoff, felt shingles all metal a turn key job hell if i got 200 a square i would think i was rich lol....

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I think that most posts ask 'where are you?' to help with pricing. Most times you will find someone close to your area. Stick around, maybe you will want to leave Dorothy behind and seek better pastures.
I spent a couple of years in NC and $10.00 an hour was considered 'good money'. 6th grade was considered an education too.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
In my trade, painting/paperhanging, I was one of those guys who about 5-6 years ago said there was no way anybody could charge/get $40+ per man per hour. I was wrong. Me and all the other businesses out there that run a successful/profitable venture do it everyday. Usually people get exactly what they are worth (or think they are worth).

·
Registered
269 Posts
red_cedar said:
With cheap pricing no one wins, maybe the upper crust does. It just brings in more illegals.
IMO the illegals and the unscrupulous contractors that use them is what drives down the prices and makes it harder for those that follow the rules to make a decent living. Likewise those that don't pay for insurance and licensing, etc are just doing themselves and the rest of us in the industry a disservice as well, and many times these types jump into projects that are way over there head and end up with a dissatisified customer which the industry as a whole a blackeye.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
housedocs, why do you think that our image is rated alongside attorney's? Seems like every flyback with a hammer thinks that they can go into construction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Illegals

Colorado roofing is largely run on the use of illegals. So in some way, I think the customers have received what they asked for, or what they deserve...same thing.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
In many ways the entire roofing industry in the U.S is run by immigrants/illegals, their are all the same to me. I have been fighting this for a long time. the reason I mentioned the more income people is because if you pay less per hr, you can get more labor for the money, roofing work is much about labor. Who do you think does most of the higher end residential roofing, more labor intensive work. Union workers? All this is another story, I can go on and on about this.

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
It's not as easy as it sounds

In Florida, depending on how many claims against you , experience, etc... 50 to 70 cents of every dollar you charge goes to workers comp! Then you have regular biz insurance on top of that to be legit! The unlicensed can have you for lunch. Met

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
housedocs said:
IMO the illegals and the unscrupulous contractors that use them is what drives down the prices and makes it harder for those that follow the rules to make a decent living.
In my opinion it's the so called salesmen, usually the business owner, that doesn't know how to sell on quality that drives down the industry pricing standards.

I'm usually never the cheapest yet I stay busy and bid against the illegals and low ballers all the time. It all comes down to consumer education and showing the customer how to disqualify the unlicensed and un-insured contractors. Bottom line is if they want the cheapest contractor to do their job it usually won't be me and that's fine with me because I don't want 'em either.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
One other thing. When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. This goes for the consumer and contractor.
How true, how true, funny, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't care where you live, Manhattan, Kansas or Manhattan, New York $125.00 sq. for a complete roof tear off job, labor, material, insurance, self employment tax etc..., standing behind your work if customer has problem, it doesn't seem possible. How would I afford computer w/ internet unless I lived in trailor and had wife working or on public assistance? Coal miners used to break there backs and risk thier lives for practicaly nothing and now roofers are pretty much doing the same thing. Get those prices up!!!

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Thats what I say, davvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvy. Why work more for less money?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts