Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since we have FramingPro's thread on his great little shed, and his ever young framing skills.

I figured I'd start a thread too, and share this weeks project.

Yep, its a barn, outbuilding, shed, whatever you want to call it.

Here is some pictures of my progression, I actually hoped that I would have had the stone bed taken care of yesterday, but it didn't happen.

Once I arrived and saw the exact location, and the conditions of the location, I soon realized I hadn't gotten nearly enough stone.

By then I missed getting more because they stop loading at 4:15

Got two more loads in today, (4-tons total) now I'm ready to frame.
I'm actually happy to play with a few pieces of lumber now, because moving that stone is for the birds.

I guess, I wouldn't mind it soo much if it was winter!

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I love these project threads.:clap:

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I love these project threads.:clap:
Me too, I guess thats what sparked my interest to fall in line. :laughing:

This jobs been on the books for a few weeks now, everything fell into order, and its time to execute. :thumbsup:

I'll share my progression,
I'm doing this solo, and I have a 10 a.m. estimate to run tommarow.

We'll see how far I get, I hope it doesn't rain. ;)

So the H.O.'s are barn shopping, kits look weak, decide they want me to build. :thumbsup:

But their ordering a blueprint, wtf.

I don't need a blueprint. :laughing:

So it arrives, I go pick it up.

H.O. explains he wants to move door over, make door 5' wide, instead of 6', walls 1' taller, etc.

With these changes, obviously the blueprint is way off. :blink:

So I re wrote the materials list changes, and they had it all delivered, it seems to be right. :pinch:

I guess its just one of those things that makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside. :jester:

I've got it under control, don't worry.

:thumbsup:

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Like...

How much should I charge to do one like that??
Now thats an interesting question, most likely the answer is?

More than I'm gettting to do it. :laughing:

Just goes to show that after all these years, and many barns, sheds, etc., later.

To date this is the most ground preperation I have ever had to do, as far as adding stone, raising the elevation, etc. to get it prepped (for a mini-barn).

I'm already behind, and I've hardly started. :laughing:

:laughing::laughing:

12' x 8' Saltbox shed.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My progress.

Well despite my appt., and the fact that it did rain mid day and was a pretty miserable day from there on out, I stuck in there and stayed after it.

Hand drove everything today for a couple different reasons.
One being the fact that I need a galvanized type fastener for the pt, and the fact that I don't like stopping for anything with alot of tools in my truck.
Now that my tools are on site, I can stop in the morning and get 16's for the senco. I am pretty much done nailing into the pt (almost), so coated nails will fine work from here on out for the framing.

Hope to get the front wall done tommarow, and into the roofing system full steam ahead. Weather permitting of course.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Nice use of bracing! Should keep it plumb and square!

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
I know it's just a shed, but what do you have for subflooring there? It seems too close to the ground. I think you may have some moisture/rotting issues with what you have there.
I saw that too, I didn't see any VB over the stone.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know it's just a shed, but what do you have for subflooring there? It seems too close to the ground. I think you may have some moisture/rotting issues with what you have there.
Exterior grade sheeting, nothing special. I was positive that they would buy pt ply, but they didn't. :no:

Plastic was also discussed, home owner didn't want it, "don't need it" :no:, is exactly what I was told.

They the H.O. sourced out all the materials, price shopped it down to the wire.

Get this, there budget was soo tight. He wouldn't pay Menards $5 to move the material to the back yard.
$5 I say, are you out of your mind?

They moved it around there saturday morning with the neighbors help.
Sweated their arses off doing it too, so I heard. :laughing:

If its any count I did build a mini-barn 10 + years ago with basically the same materials, and it hasn't rotted out yet, or does it show any signs.

I think it will be fine, you should have seen what was there before :eek:

Had I been paid to source out the job, deliver the supplies, etc.
It would be a totally different ball of wax.

Gotta work with what the lord gives you. I don't always agree, but I still have to make a living. :w00t:

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
No danger of the short walls falling with no brace toward the inside? Or outside for that matter I guess. Or, did you build the front wall before leaving it for the night?

I was thrown off by that much buildup of gravel. What will hold it in place? Is it a type that can be wet or compacted and make it somewhat stationary?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Just being a little curious here and want to keep up with the thread as you progress with this project.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts