Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to stop at Home Depot or lowes out of conscience for a few things. But they have become so geared to home owners . That I think it's safe to say they have become Walmart . Where people go to get cheap products for a cheap price . I will drive 20 miles out if my way to get contractor grade products

·
Kowboy
2,587 Posts
Smithanator:

I understand your frustration, but you'll go broke if you do as you say.

I worked on an exclusive Florida key. I had to buy two plumbing stops at the tiny hardware store for about triple what it would have cost at Lowe's or HD but they were still a value. At my rates, I couldn't drive off the key and back and save money; in fact they would have cost even more.

You don't have to like 'em, but they're all over the place and you can't afford the drive.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Smithanator said:
I use to stop at Home Depot or lowes out of conscience for a few things. But they have become so geared to home owners . That I think it's safe to say they have become Walmart . Where people go to get cheap products for a cheap price . I will drive 20 miles out if my way to get contractor grade products
There good for some stuff and not others . Just like lumber yards and supply house's .

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
There's def a love hate thing going on with them for me. I used them less and less in the last 3 years though.

The return policy alone is worth shopping there for small bits. Like some have said grab extra and return what's extra. Rarely use the extra but not having to pay 30% restocking few when I do is nice. Not only does it cost me more but it costs me more to return it also.

They also have a lot on the shelf which none of my suppliers do. Yeah its full of HO but they still have a few quality pieces for the contractors.

I'm not worried about HO shopping there. The customers who want to buy the materials and do the job them self were never looking for the quality I'm knocking out anyway so they don't loose me work.

Its easy to see why they put other business out of business though. Cheap, in stock, decent return policy's, a place on almost every corner(well 10min drive), open long hours, open Sundays, discounts, interest free the list goes on. I try to support local company's as much as possible but they cost me way to much time and money at times for the same exact stuff.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
BCConstruction said:
There's def a love hate thing going on with them for me. I used them less and less in the last 3 years though. The return policy alone is worth shopping there for small bits. Like some have said grab extra and return what's extra. Rarely use the extra but not having to pay 30% restocking few when I do is nice. Not only does it cost me more but it costs me more to return it also. They also have a lot on the shelf which none of my suppliers do. Yeah its full of HO but they still have a few quality pieces for the contractors. I'm not worried about HO shopping there. The customers who want to buy the materials and do the job them self were never looking for the quality I'm knocking out anyway so they don't loose me work. Its easy to see why they put other business out of business though. Cheap, in stock, decent return policy's, a place on almost every corner(well 10min drive), open long hours, open Sundays, discounts, interest free the list goes on. I try to support local company's as much as possible but they cost me way to much time and money at times for the same exact stuff.
Yup.
Other times when you're waiting 20 minutes in line because of cashier incompetence you wonder what the heck you're doing there.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
They are what they are, but I am quite pleased with Thier return policy. I always tell my guys it's cheaper to get a extra one than to drive all the way back up here.
I often take a shotgun approach to a project, especially when it involves PCV pipe and fittings. I'm likely to fill a basket with anything and everything I think I might possibly need and then return 75% of it (or more) at my convenience. I don't need a receipt as they can link the purchase to my credit card. The cashier doesn't bat an eye.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
I often take a shotgun approach to a project, especially when it involves PCV pipe and fittings. I'm likely to fill a basket with anything and everything I think I might possibly need and then return 75% of it (or more) at my convenience. I don't need a receipt as they can link the purchase to my credit card. The cashier doesn't bat an eye.
Me too. Theres no telling WHAT the previous maint man did before me. Nothin worse than crawlin down in the hole and havin cpvc crack a foot away & its a different size.

·
The Dude
Untangler of blue spaghetti
3,343 Posts
I call such tactics "Spray and Pray", like the military guys say about machine gunning.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have. Old common sense saying that nobody seems to heed.

It cost you NOTHING to take it back next time you're in there ANYWAY for something else. It cost a LOT for you to have to stop a job and make a run for more whatever.

I was going to make that customer appointment, but instead I've got to run to Lowes for two sheets of OSB because I've got 10 roofers with their thumbs in rectus - so I'm going to be late.

OR

I just got finished selling another roof when my roofers called and said that I've got two sheets of OSB to bring back at my convenience.

Which is the smarter choice?

I'm going to goober gauge at the job for two hours contemplating exactly which parts I'm going to need so I don't "waste" any money buying returnable materials. Then I'm going to go to the store and buy only what I think I need - maybe goober gauge at the store for another two hours. When I get back to the job and start actually DOING something, I'm going to find out that I've got to go back for a pvc fitting. Simple job is gonna take two days!

OR

I'm going to buy $100 worth of **** I don't need just in case, then return $75 of it at my convenience. Store trip and job combined - 2 hours, maybe 3 if I'm being slow ...

It bends my mind how many times I see the wrong choice made in these scenarios.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hate when I had to buy lumber there ..but the being open late and on Sunday is huge .. Not only culling through lumber for 1/2 hr to find useable lumber .. But it seemed like ever time I needed some material they had those f.cking stupid fences up in all three isles well some moron was learning to drive a fork lift..

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I hate when I had to buy lumber there ..but the being open late and on Sunday is huge .. Not only culling through lumber for 1/2 hr to find useable lumber .. But it seemed like ever time I needed some material they had those f.cking stupid fences up in all three isles well some moron was learning to drive a fork lift..
The last time I was picking up lumber I could see another guy waiting to get to the pile, so I wondered off and came back about 20 minutes later, the best part he took all the crappy lumber off the top of the pile so I didn't have to keep moving it. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts