Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have data on how much lineal feet one gets breaking concrete footings with a hyd hammer.
I mean the number of feet an hour.
Footing is one foot wide three feet tall; do not know if it has rebar in it.
Mini Excavator 12,000 machine Kubota 161.
Rental hammer looking at is Atlas Copco SBU220 weights 500 lbs. with
Energy Impact Class 550 (ft-lbs).
Could use the expanding grout to break it up, drill it pour in the grout let it set, but I think the hammer would be a lot faster.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Get a larger machine and just dig it out. Breaking it out would work. But very slow. It would be much easier to excavate it then break it on the 12" dimension. With a larger machine you can break up the pieces much faster by lifting and dropping the pieces

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I've got to agree, I big machine is much better for this task. Those hammers are expensive to rent. I bet you could bring in a sub with a 160 for not much more $

·
Registered
219 Posts
It will be difficult to break concrete 12" wide for the full depth. If you can excavate next to the footing and break horizontal would have better success but it is hard on the breaker and machine.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
If it's poured on ledge than it's probably pinned with rebar to the ledge and anything that big should have rebar in it anyway. It's going to be slow going with a mini ex.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Seems like it would take a ton of time to remove with a mini. Can you get a 160 or 200 size hoe just to get it to a pile then you could even use a skid steer with hammer to break it down. If I put one of our 200's on it I think you could at least get it down in bigger chunks to another machine.

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
No data, but if I were bidding it, I would shoot from the hip. How many linear feet are we talking about ? If is it a large quanity, I would look at getting a bigger machine. The cost for rental is not much more and the speed of breaking will be 10 fold. We have a NPK hammer on our Cat 315. It is a 3,000 ft/lb hammer and we do alot of breaking with it. We also have a hammer our on Case 590 backhoe which is about the size of the one you are looking at renting. The bigger hammer will simply destroy the smaller hammer in production. When hammering, bigger is better.

·
operator
394 Posts
A 200 size hoe is a bit overkill in my opinion. A 315 with a hammer should whip that out in about 2-3 hours. I'd break it into 2'-4' chunks and then throw it in a truck. Should be done by lunch time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts