Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was hoping you could share thoughts/ experiences on the two options. I've never sprayed before, but I'd like to get into it. I have access to a Graco FinishPro 7, or if I went airless I'd probably go with the Graco UltraMax.

My main uses would be trim/ built ins. In the past, it was always just let the painters brush and roll, but I'd like to get into the higher quality finishes.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to read up/ videos to watch, I'd appreciate that, too.

Thanks!
Rich

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
An airless is more versatile

If all you were doing was cabinets or built ins the hvlp can give a better Finish and more control ,but it is much slower on large areas

Airless sprayers are all about tip selection and pressure settings

The hvlp guns typically have adjustable fan settings and produce a finer mist

Airless sprayers you must change tips to adjust the fan

Hvlp is more sensitive to paint viscosity, you have to thin a lot of paints
to use them

Airless sprayers will usually spray without thinning

If the smoothest finish is the goal hvlp is the way to go

However, airless sprayers can produce fine finishes with the right tips

Reactions: MarkJames

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
I use HVLP for almost all my painting.

I've got a 4900 graco pro cart.

If I did it all over again, I might get an Airless Air Assisted.

But I REALLY love my HVLP

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,364 Posts
Why limit yourself to just one finishing option? We've got airless, air assist airless, several gravity feed hvlp & a graco ultramax. All have different applications depending on finish & results we're trying to acheive.

What finish are you wanting to spray cabinets with? Latex, or lacquer base?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The main tip I can give for spraying is lots of light.

When spraying you need to look more at the sheen of the surface that you are spraying ,and not the color

A glancing light that lets you see the texture of the paint as it is applied will give better results

Always test on something other than your work piece

Practice practice practice

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Why limit yourself to just one finishing option? We've got airless, air assist airless, several gravity feed hvlp & a graco ultramax. All have different applications depending on finish & results we're trying to acheive.

A very good point . The materials used often dictate the equipment

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
The Graco GX-19 is probably the best choice for what you describe without getting into multiple systems to start.

I’m in the same boat as Pin, I have just about every spray option available to me.

Tom

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I'm not opposed to eventually getting more than one system, but for just starting out I wasn't sure if one would be better than the other.

Finishes is another thing for me to learn about. I'd probably lean towards latex to start until I can get enough practice with lacquer based

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Really ,to be honest, you don't need to spend a lot of money if , you don't want to.

I've got a cheap HF gravity feed that I've sprayed everything from cars to cabinets with , and only spent about $25 on it

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The main tip I can give for spraying is lots of light.

When spraying you need to look more at the sheen of the surface that you are spraying ,and not the color

A glancing light that lets you see the texture of the paint as it is applied will give better results

Always test on something other than your work piece

Practice practice practice
I learned a while ago that direct light doesn't show nearly as much as indirect light and shadows do 👍

Which ever option I go with, I plan on practicing a lot with projects around my house

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Lacquer is actually very forgiving , it dries fast, and sands well

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lacquer is actually very forgiving , it dries fast, and sands well
Good to know.

One thing I want to avoid in regards to built ins is the inevitable scraping off of paint as they are used. As I mentioned, in the past I would build them then the painters would come in and brush/ roll, and the finish on the shelves and occasional counter would never hold up well.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,364 Posts
I'm not opposed to eventually getting more than one system, but for just starting out I wasn't sure if one would be better than the other.

Finishes is another thing for me to learn about. I'd probably lean towards latex to start until I can get enough practice with lacquer based

If you're spraying small projects, cabinets, doors, builtins, ect & not full rooms & large areas, I'd probably steer you towards the Graco ultramax if you're starting with latex. The Low pressure FF tips do a really nice job of laying a smooth finish.

If you're going to start playing with lacquers, here's a nice set of gravity feed hvlp guns that won't break the bank. We've got 4 of these guns that we spray everything from stains, to clear lacquer to to tinted lacquers (paint) to poly

https://www.amazon.com/DeVilbiss-802342-StartingLine-Gravity-Spray/dp/B000KSTFJO

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
If there is a PPG dealer near you give Breakthrough a shot:whistling

There are SW products I’d recommend but don’t want to put you through dealing with a products finishes store....

Tom

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If you go with an air gun , good water filters are a must

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If there is a PPG dealer near you give Breakthrough a shot:whistling

There are SW products I’d recommend but don’t want to put you through dealing with a products finishes store....

Tom
Looks like either option is a bit of a drive, closest stand alone ppg is in philly and sw product finishes is about an hour and a half. Plenty of standard SW stores around though.

I did grab the wall and wood primer based off your recommendations though

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is the graco hvlp I have access to. Not sure if it's the 7, 9, or 9.5. I might see if I can grab it tomorrow to test it out

1 - 20 of 96 Posts