Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently installed a new Goodman 96 2 stage furnace and single stage heat pump. According to the instructions and all the literature the new technology with Comfortbridge allows the unit to take care of stages of heating. However, I cannot get it to do so. Only running modes I can get are heat pump, 2nd stage heating by putting thermostat in emergency mode, or heat pump followed by 2nd stage heating if I bump the tstat up x amount of degrees.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't have the heat pump operate in conjunction with the gas furnace. It should be either / or. I would put the gas on the emergency circuit only, and not use as auxillary heat. Regarding the two stage operation of the furnace, there is a dip-switch which will enable the system to go into 2nd stage heat, after a certain amount of run time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the input. However. I've gotten the furnace to fire in 1st stage since posting needed to pull out a jumper wire on tstat. But if you read on the new technology with this Comfortbridge built in the circuit board of the furnace, you're suppose to literally just control temperature and the internal algorithms and timing chooses heat modes. I can get 1st and switch to 2nd if needed but it doesn't try to utilize the heat pump at all. The Comfortbridge tech says you want it wired for a single stage unit and the circuit board does the rest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, I shoulda taken into account that you had the Comfortbridge setup. Glad you got that taken care of. I have a hybrid setup at our place. Still, I would use a heat pump t-stat, and wire e heat for the two stage, and would not hook up to the aux terminal. Either heat pump, or Gas heat (opinion)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you wire up the tstat for heat pump use a tstat manual states then you can use heat pump and propane by selecting emergency but it only utilizes 2nd stage heating then. Goodman's instructions state if you wire it or set it up as a heat pump system it may not function properly because of the internal algorithms and they're right. They want you to set up tstat for single stage heating and cooling and the Comfortbridge is suppose to take care of the rest. I'm either doing something wrong or this system is so smart it's dumb. I purchased it from an online place and I'm not licensed so Goodman won't help. And the place I purchased from turned out to be a$$holes after I further communicated with them and also suggested a 2-1 heatpump thermostat from the get go so they don't even know what they're selling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also should add I have it wired
White to white
Red to red, tstat has jumper on rC & rH
Blue to blue (common)
Green to green
Yellow to Yellow
Orange from tstat straight to condensor for reversing valve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts