Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
True. But with standard efficiency equipment parts are readily available, and one isn't required to purchase o.e.m. parts at a convenient markup.

Iam not hating on modulating equipment or variable speed motors in the way they operate. Its just a homeowner of modest means can be put in a vulnerable situation. And, all savings from the utility bills are negated.
I agree. The consumer has to be educated on the HE equipment enough to make the decision for themselves. I see so many just say "if we replace your old oil boiler with this new 96% efficient boiler, you'll save $$$$$$ every year." Then they try to push oversized equipment that defeats the purpose of upgrading.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I don't have a problem with the availability of the equipment. I do have a problem with the proposed mandated minimum efficiency equipment.

Soon, the 80% gear will likely be 86ed, and many homes were built in a manner in which running a new flue venting system (including the condensate disposal) can become a major expense, again, negating any savings from the bill.

Lets face it most people aren't interested in mechanical efficiency, it's $ efficeincy that interests them.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Remember, most of the efficiency standards aren't to save the individual money. Its to save on energy and fuel reserves for the nation as a whole.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Remember, most of the efficiency standards aren't to save the individual money. Its to save on energy and fuel reserves for the nation as a whole.
I don't dispute that. However, if there is a shortage of ___ it will be priced accordingly. Since we have such shortages, why aren't gas stations required to offer alternative fuels than simply gasoline?

If you do the Netflix streaming thing, check out the movie titled Pump. Its a documentary on the gasoline monopoly. It was an eye opener.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I don't dispute that. However, if there is a shortage of ___ it will be priced accordingly. Since we have such shortages, why aren't gas stations required to offer alternative fuels than simply gasoline?

If you do the Netflix streaming thing, check out the movie titled Pump. Its a documentary on the gasoline monopoly. It was an eye opener.
A long time ago. The gov decided that we would use up the fuel reserves of other nations before using up our own. So we would be the only one with large fuel reserves.

Then they allowed off shore drilling. And so many more oil reserves were found. That prices didn't continue to sky rocket.

Now, the gov has decided to conform to the rest of the world, and attempt to conserve. But conservation isn't always in the best interest of the fuel reserve owners foreign or domestic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
500 ft per ton is an old rule of thumb that usually over sizes the equipment.
In our area we lack humidity...so 500 feet works good here.The new deal is zone control installs.Emc blower motors have a large range of CFM.
When the ambient air is over 104 you will want the bigger unit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
True. But with standard efficiency equipment parts are readily available, and one isn't required to purchase o.e.m. parts at a convenient markup.

Iam not hating on modulating equipment or variable speed motors in the way they operate. Its just a homeowner of modest means can be put in a vulnerable situation. And, all savings from the utility bills are negated.
It's hard to let the home owner know that his new EMC blower motor will cost them 1000.00 for the part and 650.00 labor to put it in for them.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
In our area we lack humidity...so 500 feet works good here.The new deal is zone control installs.Emc blower motors have a large range of CFM.
When the ambient air is over 104 you will want the bigger unit.
Not really. A member on another site, has a 4,000 sq ft home, that is cooled by a 2 ton A/C.

If a 500 sq ft per ton rule of thumb would have been used, his A/C would short cycle, and give him a high cooling bill, and a short life span on the compressor.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
It's hard to let the home owner know that his new EMC blower motor will cost them 1000.00 for the part and 650.00 labor to put it in for them.
VS ECM's very seldom fail. Its usually the module, and the module is not real expensive.

X13s/ECMs are not real expensive either.

650 labor, I have got to raise my rates.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Not really. A member on another site, has a 4,000 sq ft home, that is cooled by a 2 ton A/C.

If a 500 sq ft per ton rule of thumb would have been used, his A/C would short cycle, and give him a high cooling bill, and a short life span on the compressor.
2 ton at 4000 ft/2? What do they keep their t-stat set at? Around here homeowners like about 72, and we have many high 95-106 cooling days. No way would I install a two ton without some type of "insurance policy" to make sure that I wouldn't have to eat that a/c unit, should the homeowner be dissatisfied.

Did they use foam insulation within the roof bays? I went to do a job in which the roof bays were insulated, and I was amazed (don't use that word ofter) at how cool the attic was.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Its an extremely tight constructed home. They did have a mini split installed for the master bedroom because they like it extra cool at night when sleeping(70 and lower sometimes). But stopped using it because the central 2 ton cooled the home and master bedroom better then the mini did the master(kept the humidity down better).

Yes, its foamed. Don't need a big A/C if the heat can't get in.

One of the biggest problems with foam insulated homes. Is HVAC contractors not understanding insulation and air tightness effects on a home. Many foam houses have A/C systems 3 times as big or more then is really needed. And much higher electric bills then they should have.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts