Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys kinda a random question:laughing:

Do any of you guys have this chest set? No stores even remotely close to me have it. I was just curious on the height of the top chest? And also to confirm the depth.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-41...12-HMT405BDLX16/202033759#product_description

Long story short, I have been searching forever for a tool chest to build into the middle compartment on my utility body. I finally found one that will fit perfectly, with the 12" depth. I was planning on cutting the lid off and building it into the utility body so when I open my tool box door I have all the drawers there.

I want to use that top husky box, then I'll just use the bottom in my shop.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jls, but that's the tricky part, the depot lists the height of the entire unit, I'm just trying to find the height of just the top box.

Dave

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I find the Kobalt and Husky boxes are really flimsy. I don't care for HarborFreight, but their tool chests are great for the money, much stronger than Kobalt/Craftsman/Husky.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,

m1911, I'm hoping its not too bad. Husky isn't my first choice for anything, but I haven't been able to find any other manufacturer that makes a box this size.

19" with the lid

17" without. Have had mine for a couple years, decent unit.
Thanks a bunch mgb! That's exactly what I was looking for:thumbup:

You wouldn't happen to know the height of the opening where the drawers are do you?:laughing: Say from the top of the top drawer to the bottom of the bottom drawer.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was at HD today and measured the top box, 40" wide, 17 1/4" bellow lid, 19 3/4" to top of lid.
Thanks m1911, That's exactly what I needed!:thumbup: I think it will just fit. I'm not sure where your located, but if I'm ever there I will buy you lunch:laughing:

Tell me about it bigshoe! I've always wanted a snap-on box for my garage, but that will never happen:laughing:

Dave

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Thanks m1911, That's exactly what I needed!:thumbup: I think it will just fit. I'm not sure where your located, but if I'm ever there I will buy you lunch:laughing:

Tell me about it bigshoe! I've always wanted a snap-on box for my garage, but that will never happen:laughing:

Dave
I have a friend in Pittsburgh, you can buy him lunch on me...

just kidding. :laughing:

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Depending on who soon you need one, you might look on craigslist too, I see lots of boxes on there often...

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I sold my nice large snap-on box and bought a cheap HF box. It was too much box for me. :blink:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't worry jls, the steel box is just the start, I'm gonna fill around them with custom wood cubbies and pull outs. As soon as I get some time to work on my own stuff!:laughing:

Hey, I would have taken that snap on box off your hands, I wouldhave bought you lunch!:laughing:

Dave

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Don't worry jls, the steel box is just the start, I'm gonna fill around them with custom wood cubbies and pull outs. As soon as I get some time to work on my own stuff!:laughing:

Hey, I would have taken that snap on box off your hands, I wouldhave bought you lunch!:laughing:

Dave
The money I got for it payed for many lunches and a down payment on my car! :laughing:

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
When I was using my trailer I have that exact box in it. Had a problem keeping the drawers in. Could have been cuz I bought the floor model with a ding and a scratch for $200 bucks. Check the north Versailles store if they have one. I vaguely remember there being one there.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I was using my trailer I have that exact box in it. Had a problem keeping the drawers in. Could have been cuz I bought the floor model with a ding and a scratch for $200 bucks. Check the north Versailles store if they have one. I vaguely remember there being one there.

Hey thanks Eric, I'll have to check that store. Its funny you say that about the drawers, I was at the depot last night playing with a different one they had and that was the only thing I didn't like was the drawers slide out too easy.

I'm trying to brainstorm a quick and easy latch system I can come up with.

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts