Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to gear up for the coming season and want to do something different. I'm an Endowment Member of the NRA and follow all 'fair chase' rules plus my own. I'm interested in meat on the table, don't mention Elk, it has to be an aquired taste. Moose is supposed to be good but I haven't had the opportunity to try it. I'd also be up for bear in BC.
Anyone up for a hunt?

·
Registered
88 Posts
A buddy brought some elk backstrap to barbeque and I must say it was as fine as any angus filet. Bear isn't too bad either if one cools the meat quickly. I've never had moose. I've heard it was good. Good luck on your trip.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I got a bad one, reminded me of mutton only worse. Northern bears are good, can't say the same about our FL bears.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Maybe I got a bad one, reminded me of mutton only worse. Northern bears are good, can't say the same about our FL bears.

Florida has bears?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Mutton huh? Nuttin' but mutton? I guess it just depends on how old you like your sheep (there it is Bob - floatin' in slow right over the plate :cheesygri ).

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HA, we used to have black bears where I now live and I have heard of some of the older guys getting bears out of the Glades south of here, in times gone by. Today, you have to go to the Central/ NW area to find them.
An old boss of mine also had a 12 pt deer in his office, got it in Palm Beach in the 50's. Pretty sad specimen though. We also have Key Deer, you can check them out here http://nationalkeydeer.fws.gov/ cute little buggers and I have never seen one to the 80#s that they claim. Most of the ones that I have seen run more like 50#.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Teetor,
If you're familliar with Pike County, IL deer, I have a line on a guided hunt for the second firearms season (8 hunters) on a 400 acre managed parcel just south of there in Calhoun County for $4000 total ($500 each). Better county to hunt, imho, just less commercialized. Absolutely fantastic deer. I bowhunted it last year and missed 2 wallhangers... :rolleyes: Can't seem to find anyone to split it with. Any of you guys ever get a good Illinois buck? It'd be wild having a ContractorTalk.com deer hunt.

Besides that, I'm already booked for a Minnesota bear hunt first week of September. Psyched about that one - will be my first bear hunt.

Tim

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tim, I don't know about Pike County in particular but am familiar with IL deer, big un's. I'm in for the First Annual Contractors Hunt. The Moose can wait.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Living less than 1 minute from the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers, I'd wager that we have some of the best deer hunting on North America right here in my back yard. Most of the prime land is owned by the local pipefitters union, so when I was young, you learned to shoot and run fast. At last check, and I might be wrong now its been several years, the world record non-typical point buck was bagged right up the road from my pad. Almost every kid in my neighborhood had a shot or two at this monster, myself included, but it always got away. It finally was found on the side of the road, having broken its neck trying to jump over the pipefitters compound fence.

As for guided hunts, a buddy of mine paid $3500 for a trip guided by Ted Nugent on his property. Bagged a nice elk, and had a great time.

Elk hunt

Say it fast, and it sounds like a mexican prostitute I once knew. :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice rack! Another easy one Bob.

·
Registered
318 Posts
"Living less than 1 minute from the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers, I'd wager that we have some of the best deer hunting on North America right here in my back yard."

I completely agree with you ProWall. Where I hunt in Illinois is just on the other side of the river - a little north, right around Hardin.

Tim

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unless your caught without one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts