Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
His buddy has a much wider rack. Surprised me. The deer on south side of lake are landlocked. Still some room to roam here for now anyways. Bone dry. See em up on their hind legs eating cedar that’s pretty rough

Mike

·
Super Moderator
25,962 Posts
Got plenty right here on the place, although they are mostly young like in these pics. One very wide 8 point running around thst 3.5 or 4 years old, defintely a shooter.

I can't get motivated to shoot deer around here. Horns don't do much for me these days, never did much for me. I plan to shoot a few does here and on a big ranch one of my clients own, both have too many does.

We were supposed to go to Colorado and didn't make it, my brother wasn't comfortable treating the jobs for 10 days and I was in contract negotiations on 3 houses. 2020 sucked for time away. 2021 is going to be different, rented a 6 bedroom 7 bath house with a pool for spring break in Florida for the whole family, Big Bend in May for a week, and a few hunting trips. Looking forward to going our of state on some hunts

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,962 Posts
You Texas guys get all the big bucks caged in?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Caged in with trim and water , them pics were months old and those bucks are still running around the same 70 acres, two wateringholes, plenty of does and food, no one shooting at or pressuring them. I could smoke anyone one of them from the hay bales or even my study window any day of the week. Low fence.

The ranch i hunt that my client owns is 7k acres, 3800 high fence. My brother and I clean up their culls (chit bucks) and Doe's that Texas A&M says need to be taken. Shooting a trophy there has zero appeal to me. The company that owns it (really the ceo/third generation owner owns the company and that ranch and many more like it outright) had a countertop division and we were a top buyer in 2015, and they told us to come out and shoot us both a trophy buck.

I shot a 2 year old spike and my brother shot two does... and the rancher said if yall like meat come back and take some more. Texas A&M told him he had to take 90 does and 70 bucks when they flew over that year to keep his management status

That rancher likes us, neither of us is shy about pulling the trigger. I head shot 3 doe's and all three gutted in a 45 min period and my brother shot 2 doe's in the same time period, came back that evening and shot 3 more, last day of doe season. Them rich boys ain't about shooting does or chit bucks and if they do the dont clean or process and leave it to the rancher alone (76 year old hired man who runs the ranch), my brother and i don't have any qualms about gutting and cutting up a bunch of deer.

My brother made a long shot right at dusk from the hood of his pick up to take the last buck tag Texas A&M the last day of Management season (late February) and got that rancher his qouta. We been set up to come and go since.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
4,988 Posts
You have a nice herd there John. That wide eight looks like he has some growing to do yet, I'd let him walk.

You are right about the rich boys. All they want to do is pull the trigger and pick up the mount when it's done. Most don't want the meat and get green around the gills if they see the dirty work.

·
Super Moderator
25,962 Posts
You have a nice herd there John. That wide eight looks like he has some growing to do yet, I'd let him walk.

You are right about the rich boys. All they want to do is pull the trigger and pick up the mount when it's done. Most don't want the meat and get green around the gills if they see the dirty work.
Thst 8 in the pic is real young, I wouldn't shoot any of them unless I was hungry. The one I was talking about i don't have a pic of.

Yeah I have a friend who was a guide at 4 seasons ranch, dude has some stories about these slickers

21 - 27 of 27 Posts