Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys getting out and having any luck? I got out with a buddy for Montana’s rifle opener and got this nice 5x5 white tail. We spent the morning hiking in, probably about 4 miles in knee deep snow. We found a buck and doe bedded down at the top of the mountain. I spotted it, so I took the shot, he took the doe. Took two trips to pack him out. We took a direct route for the pack out, a little over a mile as the crow flies to the truck, with 1,000 ft of elevation gain, so it was definitely a work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,997 Posts
Whitetail

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice buck. Muley, I assume.

Haven't gotten out at all this year; glad to see someone is.
White tail. I was hoping to get into some mulies, but no way was I gonna pass up this deer when I saw him bedded down.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just shot a decent 8pt. here in Michigan rut just kicked in. Looking at your second picture of the deer head hanging in the tree branch must be some bear in the area. Normal tradition is to hang the buck nuts in a tree after the gutting of the deer here in MI. Beautiful 10 pt.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just shot a decent 8pt. here in Michigan rut just kicked in. Looking at your second picture of the deer head hanging in the tree branch must be some bear in the area. Normal tradition is to hang the buck nuts in a tree after the gutting of the deer here in MI. Beautiful 10 pt.
Yeah there are plenty of bears around northwest Montana. Just found some fresh grizzly tracks in my backyard while I was walking the dog this morning. I put the head and meat in the tree to keep it safe while we packed the first load out. They make you keep the nuts as evidence of sex, like a head with antlers isn’t good enough...

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,406 Posts
Nothing wrong with that one, congrats man.

I shot this one last week right behind my house. Wasn't planning to hunt that night because the weather has sucked & the winds have been wrong. Came out of the shop & seen the sky had turned over cast, (first time all week) & the wind had switched. So I ran up to the house an hour an half before dark & grabbed the bow & headed out to a chair I have setting on a knoll behind the house.

Hope to get to make a decision on this one next weed during rifle season.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing wrong with that one, congrats man.

I shot this one last week right behind my house. Wasn't planning to hunt that night because the weather has sucked & the winds have been wrong. Came out of the shop & seen the sky had turned over cast, (first time all week) & the wind had switched. So I ran up to the house an hour an half before dark & grabbed the bow & headed out to a chair I have setting on a knoll behind the house.

Hope to get to make a decision on this one next weed during rifle season.

Nice. You’ve got some dandy bucks over there.

I found some fresh elk sign in my back acreage the other day and found myself questioning just how much I want my first elk hunt to be out in the wilderness. I’ll probably grab a b tag and shoot a meat doe out back this year though. For some reason that seems right, but a backyard elk just doesn’t.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I bow killed a decent 4x4 whitetail in southern Illinois last Saturday. On same hunt, two of my buddies also connected with archery gear; a 4x4 and a 5x5.
Back home in Indiana trying to get another one here now. The whitetail rut is in full swing and they are on the move.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,008 Posts
Got two of my five deer tags filled, both 8 pointers. Not really what I wanted but was after some venison and they were what showed up. Last buck tag will be saved for that special guy. Rut hasn't started yet so the big bucks haven't showed up yet. While I was out at the ranch I picked off two dogs and one pig. It was nice to get away from the house for awhile and the nonsense on the news channels.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts

Sitting in my blind, second season archery.

I wish the WiFi worked better, but I do have coffee.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,008 Posts
You Texas guys get all the big bucks caged in?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Heck no, still a lot of low fence hunting here, it's all I do. High fence ranches are usually for exotics or WT with genetics brought in from northern states.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,008 Posts
He’s got a pretty nice buddy with a really wide spread for around here. Still a pup compared to Land between the Lakes deer

Mike
Good sized deer for Canyon Lake. When I lived south shore they were all small like Lakeway deer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts