Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone check their rankings after the new algo release? Im up across the board, now showing multiple pages on search results.

My plowing site is showing multiples for every page I want to plow in.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One of my town pages that ranks. Some people dont make these because they dont want to put different content on all the town pages. Web guys like anyone else make money on words and this is an area that can get expensive to make differnt content on.
Im slowly working on making it fit for me, ill get there as soon as my phone stops ringing.....

·
Registered
785 Posts
We shot up for about a week and now have come back down. I went from 1-5 visitors a day to 30-50 a day for about a week then back to normal. I wasn't tracking any keywords though, just individual visitors. I suppose I should finally get on with keyword optimizing. I was hoping to have a new site built first in wordpress.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chimney repairs is the highest comp. keyword for masonry, higher then brick paver walkway. All up, sometimes im listed twice on the first page, plus I have some yelp or yellowpages listings showing as well

·
Registered
785 Posts
JBM said:
Chimney repairs is the highest comp. keyword for masonry, higher then brick paver walkway. All up, sometimes im listed twice on the first page, plus I have some yelp or yellowpages listings showing as well

Great job. Did the algorithm have to do with unique content? That seems to be what I recall. Either way that's great.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We shot up for about a week and now have come back down. I went from 1-5 visitors a day to 30-50 a day for about a week then back to normal. I wasn't tracking any keywords though, just individual visitors. I suppose I should finally get on with keyword optimizing. I was hoping to have a new site built first in wordpress.
I would be very cautious with thinking lke that. Thinking lke keyword optimizing. For the most part you dont want to do that. Well not in a general sense. Write great content about what you do and why you are so passionate about your trade, Google will figure out what it is you do.

but you are missing on tons of search volume with 5 visitors a day. A GC has a freaking gold mine of content they can make a website around. I can see 100-1000 visitors a day going to an active GC site.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great job. Did the algorithm have to do with unique content? That seems to be what I recall. Either way that's great.
The official answers seem to be Google wants to know how people speak.

In a nutshell they are trying to stay ahead of siri lulz.

but the algo is being designed to read between the lines of what it is people are looking for.

My biggest obstacle was fighting chimney repairs. I finally gave in and associated myself with chimney sweeping and google gave me the love. All i did was add, "we do not do chimney sweeping" and bam, im all over theplace. I added the words they were looking for, in a kind of reverse phychological manner hahaha. Anyways, the search terms are there and Google gave me the association with chimey sweeping and repairs.

/flex.

Imagine if I went to college for this crap, i would be friggen rand flipplekin.

·
Registered
785 Posts
JBM said:
I would be very cautious with thinking lke that. Thinking lke keyword optimizing. For the most part you dont want to do that. Well not in a general sense. Write great content about what you do and why you are so passionate about your trade, Google will figure out what it is you do. but you are missing on tons of search volume with 5 visitors a day. A GC has a freaking gold mine of content they can make a website around. I can see 100-1000 visitors a day going to an active GC site.
No doubt I am. I realize it's something we really have to work on. Even with the spike in visitors we received 4 contacts from interested customers. Contractor Talk has been a great motivator for me over the last year. It motivated me to work on lots of different things and fortunately we were blessed with lots of work. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
342 Posts
$*%&#@ I don't have time for an algorithm update!

I wouldn't have even known about it if I hadn't stopped by here to see what was new.
I wonder if that has something to do with why my phone has been off the hook the last week?

·
Registered
2 Posts
In a short summary, HummingBird is Google's method to provide more precise answers to user queries. Going beyond simple keyword matching Google is working to match an answer with user queries using their Knowledge Graph and methods that look at the semantics (meaning of words) of content.

Expect this will impact your site results in a few ways. One, if you tweak your site with bits of semantic HTML markup (schema.org - search engine recommendations) you will rank better (no guarantees though). This markup provides little facts that better instruct Google, Yahoo, Bing about the content in the webpages its crawling so that it can more accurately match it with user queries.

Two, its all about Google's Knowledge Graph, the more facts you can give the "brain" the better you'll rank. The graph is built up from many things, especially Google's other services; linking a Google+ Page to your website lets Google know the publisher behind the site. Adding author information (linked to a Google+ user) is another data point that links your content to the person. Each of these link facts in the Google "brain" provides more ways for it to provide answers. Moreover, the existence of the facts improve your ranking relative to the other search results since Google has more confidence in the quality of its answers.

Third, its still true that great content rules to roost. Regardless of any action above, if you've got a good website and content you're going to continue to see good results. While there are approximately 200 different things which influence Google's algorithm, helping them understand your content will give you a boast.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I shot up. Top local listing and now first page almost to the top of organic as well.

I have always been white hat. Old domain with a good deal of content. Very above average in Social Media.

Reactions: JBM

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya I know they have been doing it for a while. Ive been using lsi articles for a couple years now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts