Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I have 2 halogen track lights in one room. There are 5 lights on each strip. One fixture is fine. The 2nd fixture hums when on. My builder said the transformer was bad. So I replaced the fixture. They switched out the transformer and the fixture still hums. The builder told me this is just the nature of this kind of fixture. If that's the case why doesn't the 1st fixture make the same noise? Any ideas? thanks for the help

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Make sure the electrician tied off well on his grounds. I've heard that will make them hum.

uh?.......no I best pass on that comment........You see Nat I'm holding back.

Bob

·
Registered
89 Posts
halogen lights dont have a ballast. or a transformer. what do you have? i am assuming you have low voltage hal lights 12 24 50v? are they on a dimmer and did you check the secondary? bad wiring in the secondary will cause v spikes and maybe humming so will a dimmer not listed by manf specs.

am i allowed to say that to him? youre not an electrician are you dro8821?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Transformers humm... at the tune of 60 cycles per second. Some are not wound as tight as others or don't have enough enamel so they chatter more. If something else is loose in the fixture, including the transformer, the noise will be amplified.

I would have the builder replace the whole fixture, if the sound is really annoying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts