Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was helping a friend through a punch list on his rental house today while his wife was taking care of my child.

He wanted to get the humidifier running. He had brought a new element and we installed it and cleaned up the holder and drain assembly a bit. He opened up the piercing valve and turned up the thermostat to let the furnace run and test the humidifier.

First thing I noticed was that the water was from the hot line.

Second thing I noticed was that there was a fairly strong stream of water going in the drain.

Third thing I noticed was the water heater kick on.

I've had a humidifier on a furnace before and I liked it. It did a good job of putting moisture in the air. I know the destructions say to connect it to a cold water line, but I never knew why. I always thought cold water would be more difficult to atomize or whatever.

Why use cold water? I also noticed the solenoid valve getting very hot.

Is it necessary for so much water to be wasted? I would say that the drain hose was running like a kitchen faucet set on about 50%. I realize water is running through the humidifier-into the top, down the little holes, all along the element, then into a drain tray and out. But does it need to run in there full blast through the 1/4" tube?

Hell, I was thinking it may be more efficent to just run the water across the basement slab and let it evaporate up into the home.

Another question-Is the water only running when the furnace is burning? I run my furnace fan continuously and I wonder if the water would be flowing when the fan is blowing (continuously) or only when the heat is being produced.

Thanks in advance for telling me that the water will shut off when the humidity level is reached. I get that part.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I don't know why cold water. Only thing I can think of is better flow through the pad with higher temp difference. Or, Maybe you aren't firing up the Water heater with cold water? Valve down the saddle valve if the water is draining like a lot.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
On flow through humidifiers, hot water is better. Cold is often recommended because you aren't using an expensive electric water heater to heat the water.

They flow a good amount of water through them to wash of minerals and to prevent mold.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I just got a new system this year and took out the humidifier...

My HVAC guy said it contributed to the corrosion of the a-coil and furnace case.

It's time to find something to add some humidity though..

Other than the ones you have to keep filling, is there anything new out there that wont hurt my new system?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
It's an up flow in a basement. Do you mean tap into the plenum above the coil?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those saddle valves are notorious for leaking and I think a guy told me once not to turn them on and off after you have done the original piercing. But it would seem wise to turn down the flow of water somewhat so it isn't gushing down the drain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts