Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
67 Posts
You want to avoid constantly searching your own site and not clicking on it. This will lower your page rank as Google sees the content as non useful because you're not clicking I your link.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Ok...

I also noticed that your site is not mobile optimized. When I did a keyword search for 'gas pool heater repair tampa' for example I noticed that your competitors sites are mobile optimized. You are using Wordpress which is notoriously slow. Your page takes over 5 seconds to load on my Chrome browser, this is perfectly long enough for 70% of your visitors to not wait and find someone else instead and Google knows this. Google began taking page load speed and mobile optimization into account over the past year. Having an outdated and slow Wordpress site which is not mobile optimized could very well take you far away from the front page of Google search results. You need a website, not a Wordpress Blog! Since you 'never heard of this' as I'd assume, I attached a screen shot from Google Page Speed Insight to show you that your page speed is lowering your rank...

Also, what is 'Rank Checker'? Do you have a link for the Rank Checker you are talking about? Why aren't you using Google's tools like 'Google Webmaster Tools'?

Product Text Web page Font Website

·
Banned
67 Posts
what percent?

Can you tell me what percent of your visitors come from:
mobile?
tablet?
desktop?

How long do visitors spend on your site? What is your bounce rate? What is the percent of new vs. returning visitors?

If you use a tool like Google Analytics you will have these answers right in front of you updated a few times a day. Once you start measuring these factors you can modify your SEO strategy to increase page rank.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
What was the term? Did it rank to an inner page or the home page? Is that term in the title and H1? The first paragraph? How many times do you link to the page in your entire blog? Do you have a link from the home page to that page? What about your satellite blogs you surely have by now, are you building that page with tons of juice?

If you dont expand your brand you have a very shaky foundation that anyone could take out with extremely low seo effort.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What was the term? Did it rank to an inner page or the home page? Is that term in the title and H1? The first paragraph? How many times do you link to the page in your entire blog? Do you have a link from the home page to that page? What about your satellite blogs you surely have by now, are you building that page with tons of juice?

If you dont expand your brand you have a very shaky foundation that anyone could take out with extremely low seo effort.
When I run rank checker I look at key words such as "gas pool heater repair tampa" and "tampa gas pool heater repair" It hits my page for the Tampa area. No you are right it is not in the H1. First paragraph yes. Blog linking, not often which I need to do correctly.

I guess Google just finally caught up with me. I've made some changes after seeing this and I hope to see a change in the ranking. ON a good note, I do show up first but it's under the thumbtack web site and second under the Angies list web site links.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
You want to avoid constantly searching your own site and not clicking on it. This will lower your page rank as Google sees the content as non useful because you're not clicking I your link.
This is extremely unlikely to be an issue and it would not drop him that far even if his search volume was so low that his own behaviors would impact his total numbers. Google notices repeat behavior from specific IP addresses and adjusts weight accordingly. That's why bot crawling isn't a factor.

Having an outdated and slow Wordpress site which is not mobile optimized could very well take you far away from the front page of Google search results. You need a website, not a Wordpress Blog!
Are you saying that Wordpress is the problem or just his version/theme of WP? Wordpress is a solid CMS for SEO purposes and is used by a lot of very competitive companies and SEO professionals.

Mobile optimization isn't a major factor for search results. Especially when the search is performed on a desktop.

Paul, I don't see the reason for your sudden drop but while checking around a bit I did notice that you're leaving some local citations blank. I know I harp on this a lot but you should complete as much information as possible on the major local search sites. You appear to be missing from Yahoo, Yelp, BOTW, Acxiom and Citypages. Those are all pretty big sites that help with your local search ranking. Getlisted.org is where I check for most sites.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
EthanB said:
This is extremely unlikely to be an issue and it would not drop him that far even if his search volume was so low that his own behaviors would impact his total numbers. Google notices repeat behavior from specific IP addresses and adjusts weight accordingly. That's why bot crawling isn't a factor. Are you saying that Wordpress is the problem or just his version/theme of WP? Wordpress is a solid CMS for SEO purposes and is used by a lot of very competitive companies and SEO professionals. Mobile optimization isn't a major factor for search results. Especially when the search is performed on a desktop. Paul, I don't see the reason for your sudden drop but while checking around a bit I did notice that you're leaving some local citations blank. I know I harp on this a lot but you should complete as much information as possible on the major local search sites. You appear to be missing from Yahoo, Yelp, BOTW, Acxiom and Citypages. Those are all pretty big sites that help with your local search ranking. Getlisted.org is where I check for most sites.
I feel like loghome is saying the opposite of everything I've always heard.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is extremely unlikely to be an issue and it would not drop him that far even if his search volume was so low that his own behaviors would impact his total numbers. Google notices repeat behavior from specific IP addresses and adjusts weight accordingly. That's why bot crawling isn't a factor.

Are you saying that Wordpress is the problem or just his version/theme of WP? Wordpress is a solid CMS for SEO purposes and is used by a lot of very competitive companies and SEO professionals.

Mobile optimization isn't a major factor for search results. Especially when the search is performed on a desktop.

Paul, I don't see the reason for your sudden drop but while checking around a bit I did notice that you're leaving some local citations blank. I know I harp on this a lot but you should complete as much information as possible on the major local search sites. You appear to be missing from Yahoo, Yelp, BOTW, Acxiom and Citypages. Those are all pretty big sites that help with your local search ranking. Getlisted.org is where I check for most sites.
Well I definitely show up in Yahoo searches as well as a link thru yelp when I do a Google search

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Well I definitely show up in Yahoo searches as well as a link thru yelp when I do a Google search
You're right, you do. I just used GetListed to do a quick check. You're listed under 3 different addresses which is why some of the results didn't show. Clean that up in your spare time.:laughing: Seriously though, it is good to clean that up as search results tend to get finicky when the NAP aren't consistent across the local citation sources.

Again, this isn't the reason for your drop in rankings. It's just something I noticed that you can easily correct.

·
Banned
67 Posts
EthanB I agree Wordpress is solid and a wonderful CMS and everything else you said which was wonderful in 2009, 2010... Now Wordpress is still a great blog platform in 2014, but if you're counting on 2014 SEO with Wordpress, well let's just say you'd probably be scratching your head and posting in forums trying to figure something NEW out

BamBamm, have you read SeoMoz's latest white paper? I'm not saying anything here, but I think that if you spent as much time researching SEO as you do posting here you would not be talking about what you heard, that's all in the past dog!

·
Banned
67 Posts
I'm just sitting here laughing remembering those days of WP plugins, themes, updates, the freaking WP updates, OMG that crap drove me nuts! Oh and wait till you get hacked. WP is the worlds greatest CMS and also the worlds most hacked, corrupted, and targeted CMS. Sharpen your Spear! Twitter Bootstrap is my first choice, then Adobe Muse. Try one of those and you'll never go back to WP again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts