Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a little issue today. I order 10 Yards for a driveway pour today, the forms were 6 inches to 10 inches in alot of places due to the slope of the grade. I ordered 3,500 PSI with NO additives at all. We started to pour at 11 AM and the temp was 85 degrees and sunny. Told the truck driver needed the concrete at a 7. Everything was going ok, it took about 30 minutes to get the first 5 Yards done because we had to use a skid loader to move the concrete about 20 feet from the truck to the pour site. Right when we finished that 5 yards that second we tried to use a float on the concrete and it was very difficult but we were able to get it flat. It took another 30 minutes to get the other 5 yards out. We took a float to it and at this point it was impossible to get it flat the concrete was already hard (the truck driver kept adding water every couple of minutes). by 1 PM the concrete was solid you could walk on it. and we couldnt brush finish it. Now the driveway looks like **** and I am out $1,100.00. I have never experienced anything like this before. Is this normal or am I missing something here? I called the company and they told me that was normal... :cursing:

can someone shed some light??

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
You started the pour @ 11:00am, my educated guess was the load that went out before you was not totally emptied out of the truck, truck went back and added your load to the existing and mixed together. Just an educated guess...but it's not that uncommon.

Easiest/cheapest repair now, stampable overlay, color and a stamp pattern to make the client happy (if possible) or bring in the jack hammer and start again.

In the future order 30%+ fly ash or slag...helps extend working time and cures at a higher rate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like you got a "hot load" from the supplier. I'd probably knock it back out and start over because if you kept adding water the whole time it has changed the mix design and it will not be as strong as it should be, especially considering that it's in a driveway area. If not it may have more problems in the future and you'll be knocking it out anyway, or fighting with the owner in court.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hot load!!!! go to the plant and ask for them to show you the load out ticket from that load that day....dont let them 'get back to you' (to fabricate one) :shifty:

read this:

I had the same UNFORTUNATE thing happen about ten yrs ago....started a pour at 9:15 am Wanted an 8 am.... in a 2 car garage and only 35 minutes to empty the truck .... could not knock it down 45 minutes after starting we did get a reasonable finish in the center, the edges ,now piled with stuff are rougher. ! Used a power trowell and everything.

I went to the plant and pressed and pressed the dispatcher and the driver for 'what happened?' and they hemmed and hawwed a bit till finally someone said ....
"Well we did have a BREIF stop for 1/2 yard on the Way" :whistling

Then I got ballistic!!!! :censored::censored: 1/2 yard 'on the way?' what kind of :censored:morons are you?...:censored::censored::censored:

The homeowner never paid me and I never had to pay the plant.
I did not charge for the labor either.

THE OWNER TO THIS DAY HAS NOT BEEN HAPPY AND LETS ME KNOW IT>
He has never changed it though even when I did offer and the plant did too.

Go to the plant ...check and then do whatever yoiu can to tear it out with the least $ you can but make the change...THEY NEVER FORGET!!! :furious:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Have a sample tested.
The load was hot. Either it was old or something else went wrong.
How do they store their water? Is it hot? There is one company here I don't use because their water tank and supply lines are not protected. The water comes out hot and ruins the mud.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
i dont know where you are,but here(oklahoma)our local plant in the summer keeps a water sprinkler on the gravel,and add ice to the mix.
im not a big concrete man,but i would say yours was batched out alot earlier than they delivered to you,or instead of 3500# you got a stouter mix.this happened to a friend of mine years ago while pouring a floor for a wal mart pharmacy.he told the general contractor he wanted 3500# mix,the gc ordered 6000#.this was in july in oklahoma,temps in the high 90's low 100's.same thing happened.he couldnt float it out or trowel it to make it look even half way decent.gc refused to pay my friend,even tho it was his mistake.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have a sample tested.
The load was hot. Either it was old or something else went wrong.
How do they store their water? Is it hot? There is one company here I don't use because their water tank and supply lines are not protected. The water comes out hot and ruins the mud.
If I have some peices of the concrete left over from tearing it out can I get that tested?

·
Registered
20 Posts
live and learn.... if the truck gets to your site late, grab some of the mud that comes out of the chute, if its warm, you got a HOT LOAD!! send it back!! especially in your case where you have a long unload period! Ive had a similar expiriance where the truck i got had two yards lefover from a previos load that day...instead of dumping that load and loading a fresh load for our order, the batch man thought he could save money by adding our load into the previous batch!!! thought he could be sly, but it didnt get past my foreman!:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts