Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
I heard about that on the drive home. Its crazy to see how devastating it was. :eek:

I know right where this is, too. My aunt lives a few miles down the road.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kinda figured it was a mom and pop company, but they seem so large they'll just write a check and move on :mad:
I think the regulations and fines for utility companies are actually huge.... They will probably be able to just write the check but its going to be a big one.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I've worked in that development and it is no wonder so many buildings were damaged. Those places are packed so tight together there is more room in a trailer park.
I have to park my trailer along the curb where there is the grass between the rows and walk everything to the jobsite. The driveways are so short that my ext cab pickup with 8' bed would hang into the street.
My brother in law has a garage about three or four miles down the road and he said the windows rattled when it blew up.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Dan_Watson said:
I think the regulations and fines for utility companies are actually huge.... They will probably be able to just write the check but its going to be a big one.
Well that makes me feel slightly better. Not that it's going to bring anyone back to life

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Dan thanks for the link, my wife told me when she got home last night but I just read it now.
What a mess... It looks like fairly new homes, to early to tell what caused it, but I hope it wasn't a hack job of appliance replacement or someone just left the gas on.

·
The Dude
2,029 Posts
Why is this automatically the contractors fault? They responded to the smell of gas.

Side note: This is why I refuse to even hook up a gas appliance flex line. I'm a very careful guy, but stuff occurs.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why is this automatically the contractors fault? They responded to the smell of gas.

Side note: This is why I refuse to even hook up a gas appliance flex line. I'm a very careful guy, but stuff occurs.

PSE&G officials said is all began after they got a call around 11:45 a.m. that the contractor had damaged a gas line, spokeswoman Lindsey Puliti said.

Crews were working on it about an hour later when the gas line ignited.

·
The Dude
2,029 Posts
Oh, well that makes sense then.

I didn't watch the vids, just read the article:

"Public Service Electric and Gas Company utility workers and contractors responded to the smell of gas in the air just before noon and as they worked to repair a damaged gas line, the explosion ripped through the complex on Crockett Ln., according to Lt. Ron Lunetta of the Ewing Township Police Department."

·
The Dude
2,029 Posts
and the other article contradicts:

"PSE&G officials said is all began after they got a call around 11:45 a.m. that the contractor had damaged a gas line, spokeswoman Lindsey Puliti said."

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
811-:blink:
Your supposed to call before you dig.........

How ironic....:blink:

Wait till the lawyers get ahold of this case.....:rolleyes: it's going to be one expensive lesson......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts