Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found that my customers are more concerned with quality and getting the job done right. They are not overly concerned with price as long as they understand they are getting more for their money. We as business owners and sales professionals have to work hard to help our customers see the benefits of our products and why they should spend with us. We will always have to deal with the low price bidders, we just have to make sure we don't fall into their way of doing business. If you give more and you are confident in your product, your customers will see that as well. Our companies have to make a certain amount to cover our overhead and net profit in order to have success in our business, if we waiver from that we will lose eventually. Once we start having to play catch up, our company will struggle and our quality will suffer. Be disiplined and watch your company grow and prosper.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark
Home Solutions Pro
www.myhomesolutionspro.com

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
My company is fine, I have actually been busy as hell all year, way busier than last year, and the money just keeps coming in, just good luck I guess

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Apparently all of our customers last year were getting there remodeling capital from the stock market. Every signed contract we had in Oct. was completed, to a man every potential contract we had in the works pulled out. We had the roughest winter I have ever seen since I started in 1981.

But we held out, didn't lower our rates and are booking up again. Our work this year is mostly repeat and referral. I'm not ready to call it a recovery for the nation but am very optimistic for our company.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
We actually put our prices up this year. Mostly referral clients. Booked right now till mid November. Will likely be turning work away unless they want to wait till January.

We are finding the people who have or make large money are still buying what they want. This work is cost plus, the latest customer didn't even what a ballpark idea, just do it. Amazing!

Think I may buy a new chop saw:clap:

·
Registered
595 Posts
We actually put our prices up this year. Mostly referral clients. Booked right now till mid November. Will likely be turning work away unless they want to wait till January.

We are finding the people who have or make large money are still buying what they want. This work is cost plus, the latest customer didn't even what a ballpark idea, just do it. Amazing!

Think I may buy a new chop saw:clap:
All that AND you have National Healthcare....I'm moving to Canada!:party:

·
Registered
72 Posts
A customer of mine said this "80% of people are still spending money so make sure you market yourself to those people. You have to do good work and make yourself stand out". I have sworn by this advise. I'm having what is turning into a great first year on my own. When this recession pulls through I feel like I am going to be on top of my game. I can't stress it enough, get yourself a good website, good business cards, company t shirts, anything to promote yourself and look professional. Have a marketing plan and don't forget you have to spend a little to make a lot. Just spend it on the right things.

Colin
Vancouver, BC
www.coveinspirations.com

·
Registered
514 Posts
So do these lonely women actually call, and if so are they just laughing or do they just request if you know any real men?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
As most of my friends and family in the roofing business and other construction business's have been very slow of the past two to two in a half years they have my busiest and most profitable years.

Used to do the new stuff until Dec 05 when that sector died off. Prior to that made a good honest living the 7 years prior.

In Spring of 06 started subbing from an insurance restoration company which taught me a bit about doing insurance work which was new to me at that point. Then 8/24/06 saw hail like MN hadn't seen since 1998. Immediately the referal leads started pouring in. Then a few more hail storms in 07 and again a few more in 08. Of course there was some nice wind in those years too.

All leads are word of mouth we run with one crew who's all family and try to do two or three roofs a week but have done as many as 5 roofs in 5 days. Most of the roofs we do sit on top of 3/4 to 1 million dollar homes. Those clients are insured good so money is never an issue in dealing with those clients.

What has helped me a lot too is having my wife spread the word around at the steak house her family owns in a high end area. She will never go out of her way to make a "sale" but rather when people ask what her husband does for a living she says "He's a roofer". Since 06 she has gotten me several hundred thousand dollars in insurance work. Some months over half the jobs come from her client base. Other people who play a major roll in getting insurance jobs are agents, adjusters, realtors, and builders. Having agents and in my case 4 spread the word around is huge. Of course a lot of realtors are looking for a bargaining chip number over half those leads turn into jobs. You have to keep the good realtors happy and they will get your work. If a builder is trusted in the community you will want them passing your name out and in my case there are 3 that do this.

The ticket is to be honest and do what you say. Customer service is key and if you don't excell at it you won't stay busy in these tough times.

My wife and I are very blessed and come from very poor backgrounds. We are both high school drop outs although she got her GED and went back to college. We live in our dream home at 30 and 31 and drive nice paid for vehicles!

·
Banned
846 Posts
It's actually been a pretty decent year. As of today I am booked til the end of September, which is the end of landscaping season. After October things start to freeze and get real white. Got my mowing route filled early. It looks like this season will be roughly $550,000 in gross sales of maintenance and landscape services. Not too shabby for 6 months work.

I figure after taxes, materials, insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc. I should have about $125,000 profit.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,999 Posts
It's actually been a pretty decent year. As of today I am booked til the end of September, which is the end of landscaping season. After October things start to freeze and get real white. Got my mowing route filled early. It looks like this season will be roughly $550,000 in gross sales of maintenance and landscape services. Not too shabby for 6 months work.

I figure after taxes, materials, insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc. I should have about $125,000 profit.
I'm in the wrong business! :notworthy

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
landscaping is no joke. We have a division that performs landscaping. Bob is not b.s ing. It is big business. A big expense, but pays off. We runn 2 60'' bad boys 23HP and exmark anda a toro. cheapest was about 8k.

·
Banned
846 Posts
A big expense,
No joke, the most expensive plant I bought this year for a project was red elephant ferns. A 3 inch seedling was $3,875.99 my cost. Needed 7 of them.:eek: The project will look like crap for 5 to 6 years until the plants mature. Mature ones were running $75K+.

Landscaping is a very expensive business to run. The materials cost a lot, advertising costs a lot, tools cost a lot, equipment costs a lot, insurance, fees, etc.

Imagine if those 7 plants had died before I could install them...:sad: That would have been an expensive boo-boo.

·
Banned
846 Posts
You install plants?
It's better to install them than leave them in the pot to die.

Anybody that thinks landscaping is gravy is mistaken. It's pretty easy to lose your ass when you're dealing with living things. Roofing shingles don't die in transit.

The biggest loss I've ever had was $24,000 worth of rare, exotic Koi. They were shipped overnight from the breeder in South Carolina. For some reason the shipping got screwed up and they were lost for 3 days. When they finally showed up they were pretty beat up, listless, and in sad shape. I put em in the pond, gave them plenty of oxygen and called a vet. He added some medication to the water. Next morning, every single one of em was belly up.

Fed Ex wouldn't pay because they were delivered alive. I didn't have the coverage on my insurance. So I wound up paying the $24,000 out of my pocket to replace the fish.:mad:

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
It's better to install them than leave them in the pot to die.

Anybody that thinks landscaping is gravy is mistaken. It's pretty easy to lose your ass when you're dealing with living things. Roofing shingles don't die in transit.

The biggest loss I've ever had was $24,000 worth of rare, exotic Koi. They were shipped overnight from the breeder in South Carolina. For some reason the shipping got screwed up and they were lost for 3 days. When they finally showed up they were pretty beat up, listless, and in sad shape. I put em in the pond, gave them plenty of oxygen and called a vet. He added some medication to the water. Next morning, every single one of em was belly up.

Fed Ex wouldn't pay because they were delivered alive. I didn't have the coverage on my insurance. So I wound up paying the $24,000 out of my pocket to replace the fish.:mad:
thats some damn expensive carp right there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts