Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a lot of different things about how business has been this year. Some people have been doing better than last year and some worse.

How has business been for your company? Have you done anything different this year compared to last? (List your industry as well)

Nathan

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I work in the flooring industry in Anchorage, AK. Business has been spectacular. Partly because I am more experianced and skilled, also because there are lots of rich folk around here, and they are major buyers. Plus when things are down in the lower 48, it tends to be great up here. I have made about an additional 10,000 a year, than I did in Oregon.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
We typically have one full time roofing crew and some part time subs doing gutters and siding.

For the last month we have had 3 full time roofing crews, and we have a month of work on the schedule. We also still have our part time subs doing siding and gutters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Business in slow but a learning process for i just started a general contracting company with very little to no capital and not as detailed planning as it should of been. This year I plan on setting stronger values to make this company profitable. You can do anything if you put your mind to it and with a little help from others such as this bulletin board for example. Never underestimate your skills and values skills of those aready in business. I have a family as well and they support me 100% to support and provide but they help as well to make things work. Never use money as an excuse for anything, as they say its the root of all evil, for not everyone became rich and successful with pockets full of cash.

:) Kenny-26-IL

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BuildALot said:
Business in slow but a learning process for i just started a general contracting company with very little to no capital and not as detailed planning as it should of been. This year I plan on setting stronger values to make this company profitable. You can do anything if you put your mind to it and with a little help from others such as this bulletin board for example. Never underestimate your skills and values skills of those aready in business. I have a family as well and they support me 100% to support and provide but they help as well to make things work. Never use money as an excuse for anything, as they say its the root of all evil, for not everyone became rich and successful with pockets full of cash.

:) Kenny-26-IL
Welcome BuildALot!

Sounds like your off to a great start with your business.
When you get a chance, head over to our Introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself! http://www.contractorschatroom.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Look forward to hearing more about you and your business!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am an electrical contractor in approximately the eighth business year. Working in northern Missouri in a small town, I have seen a drastic decline in our construction trade. High end housing is doing well, but my meat - and - potatoes trade of moderate housing and small commercial has nearly dried up.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the board Brennan Fox!

Why is the moderate housing and small commercial drying up? Is there any way to alter your business model to focus on the high end housing for the time being?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
(I'm talking roofing here) I find the high end housing to be where the money is. I dislike the low end housing market. New construction is new construction when it comes to residential. No matter if it's high end or low end builders squeez every penny. YOu can make some money in high end new construction if you know slate, tile, or metal... Everyone and their mothers do shingles.

I'm slowly moving away from the whole new construction scene. I have been doing work for Lowes home centers and gave them their walking papers today. They are incompentent and burden us down with so much paper work. I'm on the verge of giving another contractor his papers too. They tripeled their office and sales staff this year and are experiencing massive growing pains in the form of disorginization and in-inexperienced project managers right out of college.

As I type I notice I am rambling but I breathed in alot of glue on the job today and who cares anyways...

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Unregistered said:
-- C.S. Lewis, Carl Sagan
Now there's a debate that would be worth watching. My money would be on Lewis.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Rick, I think that unregistered opened up this old thread just to sell Lipitor.
Nathan's the only one able to can him. O Naaattthhhaaannnn.
Got 'em just as I posted this. Nathan's pretty quick on the draw.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
For me: better than expected.

For my former boss: not so good since I left :( I'm going to sub him all my shingle work even though he's a few bucks more a square than some of my other subs. He does good work and I feel sorry for him.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Last month really bit, blew, sucked, really wasn't very good. Hard to work without electric, phones, gas, roads and a few other things but every cloud with an eye in the middle of it has a silver lining. I'm currently booked out at least 9 mos. on insurance jobs, spell that GRAVY TRAIN. If everything works out, I may just retire early. Maybe buy a place in the Bahamas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts