Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Builder of Stuff
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, folks.

I've been lurking on this site for a couple months now. I'm a builder with 6 years in the trade, professionally. I tell people I've been at as a hobby for 20 years -- since I could pick up a screw-driver around 3 years old

I'm just beginning to branch out and seek out my own job sites and contracts. I've done a few roofing jobs, now, and a small deck rebuild (with a subsequent rot repair -- 100 year old house badly in need of residing). I would say I most enjoy, and am best at, roofing work.

I'm 23, and I'm fighting to build a reputation, whilst fighting against the reputation that's already built. Young guys in this industry aren't trusted -- usually rightfully so. I'm working my way through the paperwork and business-planning involved in seeking legitimacy and incorporation.

I work in Vermont -- primarily in Chittenden county (the Burlington area). Vermont is a word of mouth state. Good references mean more up here than years of experience. Because I have less experience than most of the guys on here, I think I'll be mostly in the asking / reading end of things. I hope I do get the opportunity to offer some advice. I'm a enough smart guy, and I can problem solve with the best of 'em.

So now that I've rambled for a while: Hello! Lookin' forward to chattin with you folk.

·
Matthew Sargent
109 Posts
Hello from the southern end of the state. Great site here i recommend taking full advantage of the business section. Take care and good luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hello,
I am in VT too, in your area as well. You are right VT is a word of mouth area big time. Good luck, my business is new too. Its hard work to grow in this economy but nothing good is ever easy.
John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good luck to all of you in Vermont. My mother lived there in Grafton from 78 to 1990 and I was there during a lot of that time when I wasn't in school or with my father in Louisville. Vermont is such a beautiful state, I have not been there since 1990.

In 1988 I worked with a roofer as a helper. He was from Rutland, and his name was Gordon - he had a low rider Harley as I recall. We did a couple of hand split cedar shake roofs while I worked for him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts