Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're catching the tail end of the winter storm that just tracked across the mid-west.

We've had 60mph gusts, 12"+ of snow (white out conditions) and temps in the teens all week....lake snow started today, possible 2' by tomorrow morning.

The way I understand it some of you guys really got hit.

Our tarps held, but the only work we have is our roof system so we left by noon. Winter held off for a month, but when it came it was the real deal!

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Got to love it. I got buried here, spent the last 3 days in the shop instead of on site. Customer is ok. They declared emergencies in areas near me.

That means stay off the roads so they can clear the snow. I was hoping the November weather would last till the end of the year, but no such luck.

Why can't I go to Florida? :laughing:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
We're catching the tail end of the winter storm that just tracked across the mid-west.

We've had 60mph gusts, 12"+ of snow (white out conditions) and temps in the teens all week....lake snow started today, possible 2' by tomorrow morning.

The way I understand it some of you guys really got hit.

Our tarps held, but the only work we have is our roof system so we left by noon. Winter held off for a month, but when it came it was the real deal!
When I think it's miserable, I just look at what happens around Buffalo :laughing:

2 feet...that blows

·
Registered
328 Posts
Snow got through my tarps and ruined a bathroom. We were putting a slope on a flat roof that tied into a 10/12 slope. It got through at the transition. I offered to pay for the ceiling as nothing is wrong with the walls. We've had 2 people look at it the say the same. HO wants the bathroom gutted. My agent says the easiest thing to do is make a claim and let the adjuster sort it out. My dect. is $2500

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Today was working on getting back to normal, i was still in the truck for the 4th day plowing and things are finally about cleaned up so we started sanding lots for other's, and tomorrow we're supposed to warm up into the 20's so i'm going to kill a few of my "whatever it takes" clients parking lots with salt and burn these things back to pavement.

She definately came hard and came nasty:furious:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
Storm?

What storm?

Was there a storm?

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snow got through my tarps and ruined a bathroom. We were putting a slope on a flat roof that tied into a 10/12 slope. It got through at the transition. I offered to pay for the ceiling as nothing is wrong with the walls. We've had 2 people look at it the say the same. HO wants the bathroom gutted. My agent says the easiest thing to do is make a claim and let the adjuster sort it out. My dect. is $2500
That could be good right?? of course the HOer will want to upgrade....

Or are you talking chaos?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Plowed a little on Monday and Tuesday. Constantly on Wednesday and Thursday... Had to bring trackloader into town to deal with some of the drifts. Put sander in today, sounds like some warmer weather coming which will start the whole thaw-freeze ice mess.......

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
probably better off doing a full gut:sad:

just to make sure you won't get any future mold issues
from what i was told the average mold remediation job is some 34 thousand dollars,and most gl policies don't cover it

not saying it's right but... you know

·
Pro
506 Posts
we had some strong gusts and lots of rain on Wednesday. I was on-site doing damage control. Tarp help fairly well, but water wanted to come in through crawlspace vents, so we put a tamper on it by running a pump.

·
Registered
328 Posts
That could be good right?? of course the HOer will want to upgrade....

Or are you talking chaos?
Not sure what youre saying or asking. I am taking full responsibiltiy for this situation. I just feel hes trying to take advantage of this. We cut holes in the walls and checked and no sign of water. He thinks his floor is rotten out.

This part of the house has a flat roof poor one at that. It has leaked for several years. He has even got a check from his HO policy in the past for the interior damage and has not done anything with it.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Not sure what youre saying or asking. I am taking full responsibiltiy for this situation. I just feel hes trying to take advantage of this. We cut holes in the walls and checked and no sign of water. He thinks his floor is rotten out.

This part of the house has a flat roof poor one at that. It has leaked for several years. He has even got a check from his HO policy in the past for the interior damage and has not done anything with it.
Sorry, I miss understood...for some reason I was thinking the damage would be asessed according to what was there, then the HOer would take the opportunity to upgrade... (which would be upcharges from the original estimate....)

That was a stupid post on my part:party:...I'm probably right about the upgrades, but most likely the HOer will want it on your dime. By chaos I meant an irrational HOer thinking it was the end of the world.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you like what happens in Buffalo, you ought to watch Syracuse and just north of it. 2' is for beginners!!:thumbsup:
A good buddy if mine just moved to the 'cuse from Cincinnati about a year ago. In the mean time he got married and his wife moved there in June.

I visited for a house warming party a couple weeks ago and
we had a fun time explaining the NY winters:laughing:

·
Pro
506 Posts

his floor just may be rotted out. if he had previous roof related water problems, plus any bathroom related water problems he might have had - i'm sure he wants a new bathroom. sucks, but seems like you'll be buying the guy a new bathroom.:furious:

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
Man, am I ever glad I live in Canada!!

Seriously, we have less than an inch of snow here (London Ontario)

It finally got cold a couple of days ago (to -10C) but its already going to go above 0 tomorrow, and rain.

Kids aren't too happy - they love the snow

Me, love it - don't have to shovel rain!

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts

If his floor is rotten, it's an indication of an ongoing problem, not one of recent cause. That may be your golden goose.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts