Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How you do inside corners of coffered ceiling? I do not like mitt them. But then is butt joint exposed. Now bottom board must be flat or lower then bottom of side boards. I will set molding at bottom of side boards. Any other idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I don't understand why you didn't just miter them!
At this point, I'd probably flush them, or maybe a light 1/8" reveal.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Next time, preassemble your backer that you nail your sides to and cut two of everything. Then you'll have the bottom, glued up, pocket screwed, etc... Backer strips on your sides to provide a stop and you're done.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Photo that I did in a bar last night. Some 1/2 X 2" at bottom and look decent. Flash discovery that is a lot of putty involved. I guess they joint bottom boards with besquit. However bottom board is like 1x10. I do not have so much space but evidently a 1/2 x or molding at bottom make sense.

Attachments

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Looks good...:thumbsup: but shouldn't you have centered the light first or whats the deal with that?

·
Registered
81 Posts
You might want to google coffered ceilings. I believe what you have there is just called a light box. When they used to be real popular in the 90s we called them sunshine boxes.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I but joined my corners on this one.

View attachment 111212
I would say top notch staff. I see same problem to cower butt joints. You had to do that molding at bottom and plus make bottom board flat with bottom of side board. It is time consuming at last in my case. Here one of my old coffered ceiling. I just run board through crosses. Did you use biscuits at joint of bottom boards?

Attachments

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I but joined my corners on this one.

View attachment 111212
How lucky you are to get nice custom work like that. People up East must be loaded. I'm lucky to sell a two piece crown with a picture mold on the ceiling around here. I've gotten a couple of referrals from a hardwood molding dealer I buy from.......but most people around here have cardboard in their house..............tragic

1 - 17 of 17 Posts