1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Floor Laminate flooring Wood flooring Hardwood Flooring

Floor Hardwood Property Room Wood

Floor Flooring Tape measure Wood Hardwood

I'm running 5" baseboard around this room. 1x4 with a base cap. The flooring company who installed the hardwood did a less than desirable job but they really fudged this "step down". It's only supported on half it's width and is resting on shims. When looking at it head on it smiles at you lol.

Anyway, HO expressed no concern over its appearance... So I'm just curious how you guys would handle this?

My base isn't tall enough to reach the bottoms of the lip, but something needs to be there. The flooring company told the HO the person doing the base would fix the shakiness :rolleyes:.

Hoping for some advice on something that will look appealing. TIA

·
Registered
344 Posts
Any flooring left over that you can put on edge and like previously said treat it like a riser?

Like the other pic you posted.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
skillman said:
Cut a 1 x 8 width of bull nose to support step . Then install stop or quarter round under it . Run you base up to 1x8 .
I'm assuming when I remove that small base that's beside the step up, there will be a gap there. Maybe that's why I asked and I forgot :whistling:

Edit: pictures

Floor Laminate flooring Wood flooring Hardwood Flooring

Floor Hardwood Flooring Wood flooring Wood

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Is that knotty wood structure, or a piece of 1x pine? It doesn't look as if the bullnose sticks out very far past it.

Edit: Reason I ask is that the wall on the right of the opening doesn't make sense for that to to be a rim joist for that upper floor level.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EricBrancard said:
I wouldn't look for a trim solution for that issue. It will just end up looking awkward. Float out that gap with some easy sand and then continue with the original trim plan.
Then what about little part of the wall that returns into the kitchen?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CarpenterSFO said:
Is that knotty wood structure, or a piece of 1x pine? It doesn't look as if the bullnose sticks out very far past it. Edit: Reason I ask is that the wall on the right of the opening doesn't make sense for that to to be a rim joist for that upper floor level.
1x.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Then what about little part of the wall that returns into the kitchen?
Should remain wall.

The 1x8 material should be under the floor nosing, almost like a riser on a stair case. The base material in the room will terminate into the sides. The rest remains wall.

ETA - is that 1x stock staying where it is, or getting removed?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I sort of agree with Eric's comments about not trimming through the door, but I think you could trim this up in a minute.

Remove the 1x. It's a shame the flooring butts to it, but...

The tall flat nominal doesn't have to be the same height as the riser, probably shouldn't be exactly. But it needs to be tall in order to hide the mess (unless you finish the sheetrock down). If the riser is thicker, then there's a little relief where the base butts into it.

A small base or shoe across the bottom, including across the riser, to hide the flooring edge.

I don't know if my picture is clear. My drawings often only make sense to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
CarpenterSFO said exactly what I was going to. I trimmed out a friends house a couple years ago where the wood floors were 1.5" above the tile so I had to 45 down to the lower height and then 45 back over.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
We had a similar situation yrs back redoing a 5yr old house, area i'm standing in used to be a garage they wanted half turned into a bath/utility room and living room.

This was round one, they wanted wood floor throughout everywhere and we had a big curb to cover, so just just a big oak board down in the step area and ran the flooring bullnose onto it.

This is what it looked like the second time we redid (before type picture to show the similiarity to your problem) it after a 500yr flood went through (typically it's at least 4 miles before any water, this place had almost 4' in it.

This time around they wanted cheap paintable trim, and instead of wood floor throughout, they did wood down the hallway, in the bedroom, and into the foyer...the living room area got carpet so we had to treat it a little differently. Shimmed walls and such and ran the casing to the floor and finished the "step" in the same wood floor boards used in the hallway and treated it as a riser.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These are all great ideas. I appreciate it, esp you SFO for taking the time to draw that up.

So, in the corner of the room to the right.. It won't look goofy to terminate 5 1/4" base into about 8" base?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
So, in the corner of the room to the right.. It won't look goofy to terminate 5 1/4" base into about 8" base?
It would look goofy. You could either step/miter it down just past the corner, or just run tall base all the way to the door. I'm not sure which I'd do, given that it's such a short wall.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts