Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a home owner who would like these removed in order to put a fence in. How ever these are planted around utility boxes and thus straight on top of the line runs. In my area I'm not too concerned about the electric, gas and water as they do a good job of being buried deep. However the cable/fiber optic lines have a tendency to be installed shoty and only a few inches down at times.

Lines already marked.

·
Contractor
7,401 Posts
I'd put a choker strap around each one and pull it out with the miniex. Wires might come with it if they're caught up in the roots.

·
Super Moderator
24,659 Posts
Call for a locate then do as Tom suggested.

Pull EASY & SLOW and have a spotter watch for wires

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
If they're lines aren't buried to spec, you have grounds to fight any charges they may want to levy against you if you hit one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
No spec for cable lines, they usually will replace them for free. Ran into this a few weeks ago, lady was planting flowers and hit cable line. Guy took a machete and made a 3" deep cut in the grass, said if it gets cut he will replace it again. Job security.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
There are specs that the subs agree to. They just never follow em.
Most will slice the sod with flat shovel and lay the co-ax in there a couple inches deep.
Got in a fight with Comcast once when I replaced a fence and sliced their cable. Which was less than an inch buried.

They wanted me to pay for it.

Showed em their copy of the specs, they backed off. I probably just had a hard core Comcast guy messing with me though.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
No doubt!
Fiber is kinda new here, so I don't even know what that looks like.
Hopefully they're more conscientious with it.
I've seen cable tv stuff on the lawn, then they complain the line has been cut.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts