Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys heres my dilemma. I just looked at a job on the way home today. A gutter fell off the house because of ice buildup. The gutter is 27' long on the back of the house. It is an exposed basement, so about three stories high. Behind the house is all concrete and nice and flat.

Now heres the tricky part, there is an aluminum awning roof on the basement level that extends the entire length of the house and I mean entire! Not even enough room to squeeze a ladder in at the end! Its extends out about 12' from the house. Putting ladders on top of it is pretty much out of the question.

The pitch of the house roof is about a 7/12 or so, so reaching out from the roof three stories high isn't something I want to do:laughing: Espessially now, it is covered with ice!

What do you guys think any ideas? I have thought about renting a lift, it just seems like so much extra crap just to replace a simple gutter.

Thanks, Dave

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Can you take the awning down? Sometimes they are just ontop of the siding and bolted on not like a deck with ledger board.

The not osha approved way is to build scaffold and put boards into the windows on 3rd floor then your stage ontop of that.:shutup:

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Rent a genie lift with a boom. Don't hurt yourself. That's what anyone you are bidding against would have to do too.

By the time you rig something up, it would have been cheaper just to get the lift. (They're kind of fun too:thumbsup:)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you take the awning down? Sometimes they are just ontop of the siding and bolted on not like a deck with ledger board.

I wish! That was the one thing the customer said he would like to avoid if possible. Plus I would be afraid a lot of stuff on the awning is steel and is so rusty, It looks like a can of worms I don't wanna open:laughing:

Dave

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
1. Remove the awning
2. Rent a boom lift
3. 40' ladder staked to the ground to prevent kick-out (and get your lightest guy up there to rehang the gutter).

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Any chance some of the aluminum panels can be removed and slip ladders in there? Throw a couple jacks on the ladders and plank it. Pumpjacks would work in that situation also.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rent a genie lift with a boom. Don't hurt yourself. That's what anyone you are bidding against would have to do too.

By the time you rig something up, it would have been cheaper just to get the lift. (They're kind of fun too:thumbsup:)

Thats sorta what I was thinking, I figure this job really isn't that important to me. I always just hate saying no to work. If someone wants to hang off the roof, its all theirs! Plus like you said theres the fun factor too:laughing:

Dave

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3. 40' ladder staked to the ground to prevent kick-out (and get your lightest guy up there to rehang the gutter).
Thats another option I had thought of, the backyard is all concrete. I could probly tapcon a 2x4 kicker down. It just looks like it would really be a lot of slant, plus I'm the only guy:laughing:

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Thats another option I had thought of, the backyard is all concrete. I could probly tapcon a 2x4 kicker down. It just looks like it would really be a lot of slant, plus I'm the only guy:laughing:
It will be a lot of an angle....doable, not advisable.

You need someone light, expendable....:whistling

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any chance some of the aluminum panels can be removed and slip ladders in there? Throw a couple jacks on the ladders and plank it. Pumpjacks would work in that situation also.:thumbsup:

Now theres an idea I didn't think of. The awnings I've taken down in the past, you just loosen some screws and the panels just slide out. I can kick myself for not looking at that closer when I was there. I wish I had aluminum poles it would make it a lot simpler!

Dave

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Setting that up by yourself will be a feat of monumental proportions.:laughing: A lift won't help much without a driver neither.:thumbsup:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Now theres an idea I didn't think of. The awnings I've taken down in the past, you just loosen some screws and the panels just slide out. I can kick myself for not looking at that closer when I was there. I wish I had aluminum poles it would make it a lot simpler!

Dave
If you meet me at my house, I'll lend you some.:whistling

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Most of those genie lifts can be driven and manuevered right from the basket. It takes some practice but it's cool.

RS, I really haven't ever used to many lifts. The boom ones have outrigers I'm guessing, but I'm guessing depending on what size it was it could reach 27' side to side parked in the middle?

Dave

1 - 20 of 60 Posts