Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met with a client last week on this one, tentative drawings. All ICF, complete with pool in the courtyard. This is a home I want to build.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All concrete. Nothing is set yet, if ever. I met the prospective client at a home show last year, and then he called a month ago, called again a few weeks ago, and then met me on a job site for a home under construction. This is all tentative, since they want to shop for contractors. I am doing the preliminary estimates on the shell so we can see how serious they are.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
The cantilever part would be one area I would stress over, how would you handle this?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The strength of the connecting walls will hold another wall "in space" if you follow this reasoning. Also, the design is not complete, from the picture of the home, you can see my drawing has already removed one major cantilever.

The cool factor for me is the modern design, complete with courtyard, and an ICF swimming pool. I sent the drawings to BuildBlock and the technical guy is already drooling over it. If I built it, I will enter it in the design competition for concrete residential homes.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
That looks like a fun build, good luck landing it, definitely a contender for the ICFA awards.

Oklahoma, mostly wind loads your dealing with? Anything for seismic there? Snow loads?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10 psi snow loads, meaning no loads. 90 on wind, seismic zone 2.

If I land this one, a Fascut FS 60 rebar bender will be in my future Chris.

There nor not any problem spans either.....like 20 feet maximum, all walls line up well, and all interior walls will be ICF also. No wood in the house. Can a guy ask for anything better?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Very interesting; I hope you get it. I wish we built more homes like that in the U.S., but stick framing still retains a cost edge in most parts of the country.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I think the cantilever you removed added character to the front elevation. It seems that cantilevering off the front should not have been that difficult.

That will be a really nice project if you can land it. Hopefully the customer is up for the cost.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the cantilever you removed added character to the front elevation. It seems that cantilevering off the front should not have been that difficult.

That will be a really nice project if you can land it. Hopefully the customer is up for the cost.
The one removed Thom involved a corner, and cut back on interior space. The engineer on this project had already culled it...but I agree, it looks cool, and I don't think it would be a big deal including it.

All that needs to be considered is that the ICF walls act like huge beams....

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been planning a similar home, except on one level, and with low slope roofs. What I will steal from this is the IFC pool and courtyard.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I like the design, that would be a fun project. We love doing the roofing on these types of projects, very few in our area are concrete in residential though.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts