Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to find a solution to a leaking roof, or the right type of contractor to find the solution. the problem is a porch roof, the porch is modular and the roof is made of panels joined with I shaped channels. during heavy rains or ice storms the roof leaks like a mother.

the panels shift with temperature changes, pulling the caulk out of the seams. The roof doesnt look like it would appreciate me walking on it, to pull out the old caulk and try some type of elastic sealent.

picture

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I personally prefer not to use epdm in conjunction with an asphalt product like shingles. The tie ins are tricky. Personally I'd strip it and install a modified bitumen on the flat roof, at least 2' up the sloped and tie into the shingle roof.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the roof is 12' by 23'. the panels are 3' wide, and seem to be 3'' thick foam sheathed in steel or aluminum. Its supported by the 3 outside glass walls, then tied to the house by way of a strip of alloy screwed into the facia. standing on the roof seems to be a really bad idea.

The porch was on the house when we moved in. im now guessing it was a really recent addition. I havent found any name stamped on the porch and the previous owners are unreachable. So i dont know more then what i can see.

Id be dubios of adding the weight of osb and roofing material to this Thing id also be worried about screws. They put a ceiling fan inside and it looks like they went to a lot of trouble to do it with out piercing the panels.

The bitumen seems to require the installer to be on the roof and then to use a 75 pound roller on the contact sheet once its down.

Can you put bitumen down with very low heat ? I would think melting the foam inside the panels would be bad.

once bitumen is bonded to the surface, how far can it shift ? the caulk lines show each panel shifts a heavy 1/8 inch inside its frame.

Thank you for input

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry if i came off ungrateful to the suggestions Chris, I appreciated them, it carried my train of from trying to "caulk" it up to something that sounds like a real fix. but I wasnt sure i could carry out those suggestions the way the roofs built. so i tried to supply more information.

The tear it the hell down was my first impulse, but the other half of "we" let me know how bad that idea would be. I dont fancy celibacy or a floor as a bed :)

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Another thought is steel deck and conventional roof assembly, if you get a structural engineer to specify what you need, and a roofer to do it. I think you can span 12 feet. I will go look it up. The engineer will know for sure.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would go with EPDM Also. The tricky part like Grumpy said is the tie in. I would run the rubber up the slope 24" than lay a 24" piece of coil stock along the pitch side to separate the two materials. than shingle over the top.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I should know about being between projects? Nope. I work every day the weather allows, and have work in my back log. Also I am doing estimates every day and have recently hired a new salesman. Infact I am trying to hire more installers. What's your excuse?

As far as my post count, I think it's something to be proud of. I enjoy the sharing of knowledge. If you search most of my posts you will see a majority are positive and educated. Perhaps you prefer living in a shoe box, but I encourage you to pull your head out of your rear end and you might learn something.

As far as EPDM and asphalt go. They are not compatible. Perhaps you should question your own credibality. I know there are ways to "tie in" these materials, similiar to the method that minnesota described. However why go to all the trouble on a roof so small? Perhaps you need to open your eyes and realize there is more than one way to skin the cat. perhaps if you didn't live in a shoe box you'd realize these things. Regardless I never SHOT DOWN your idea. I said "I'd prefer to use modified..." Oh wait, aren't you the guy who tore the roof off on the wrong house? http://contractortalk.com/showthread.php?p=16269#post16269

I can't wait for your project to start. Is there anything I can do to speed things along? I look forward to the day you dissapear. Judging from this thread; You have brought nothing positive to this forum. This is a forum of respectable and professional contractors, and as I see it; you just do not belong here.

People that come here for help, regardless of contractor or home owner, don't need to be ridiculed by a tiny person like you. I'm also quite sure that if you keep up that behavior you would quickly be banned by the owners of this forum.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
nervous, If you are hesitant to walk on it, replacement is due. Just about anything that you do to attempt to fix it will require foot traffic. Perhaps it has lived out it's lifespan.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'll be here, I don't seem to venture very far anymore.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
cdac said:
Mr I'm too busy for my own skin man ROFLMAO
Now I have to go put a new lid on my shobox.
Hey Teetor, I would love to chat old dive stories and A/C with you some time over some ale, Next time I in your neck of the woods, I'll look you up :Thumbs:

Hey Mr. Shoe Box, did you happen to notice the time stamp on that post? It could be possible I was trying to spark up some conversation in the forum as it was getting late.

Once you manage to get that lid shut on your box, please forget how to re-open it. I know it may be hard for someone like you to figure out how to close a shoe box so I will be patient with you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts