Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Multi-tradesman defender
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully we can keep this out of the P&R section so everyone can play along, how would you fix the economy, housing industry, tax system, America?

Try to avoid race issues, immigration (derogatory comments), or Demo/ Repub accusations. What could be done, from a grass roots level, to get back to our glory?

The USA is still better than anywhere else, what would it take to be GREAT again?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Make the schools better. Teach the kids some better habits. It will take some time, but the sooner you start the sooner you finish.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Health care system needs some major work. Believe it or not in the World Health Organization's top 100 the US is ranked #37 behind Colombia, Cyprus, Israel, Costa Rica and numerous other places that you thought would be way below the US.

My wife works as child psychologist for 4 different schools and there's some serious issue's with a lot of crazy kids making there way into schools. There seems to be a growing amount of kids who just have zero respect for schooling and I'm amazed that some of these kids are the ages of 6-7 are getting sectioned.

The drug problems need to be sorted. Since moving here i have come across more meth heads than i have seen in 30 years in the UK and pot heads are 2 a dozen.

Banks also need some major work. They are getting away with far to much and this also goes for insurance companys.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Hopefully we can keep this out of the P&R section so everyone can play along, how would you fix the economy, housing industry, tax system, America?

Try to avoid race issues, immigration (derogatory comments), or Demo/ Repub accusations. What could be done, from a grass roots level, to get back to our glory?

The USA is still better than anywhere else, what would it take to be GREAT again?
If the new changes stick it is fixed.

America has spent the last 20 years changing it's work ethic and mind set to the get rich quick mentality. Look back over the 80's and 90s, you had the wall street craze then the dot com craze then the real estate craze, everyone of them was based on "get rich quick".

You get rich slowly in America. That has been the way it has worked up till the last 20 years. If you worked hard, created a business, helped enough other people get what they wanted, you could get what you wanted over a period of time.

If we get back to getting rich slowly instead of getting rich quick everything is going to be fine.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Start with he children.

Teach your children to learn what no really means. They will have to hear it the rest of their lives.

Teach them what work really means. The earlier they learn the better they will be equipped to compete...compete they will.

Teach them to respect. As they respect other they will in turn earn respect. EVERYONE has prejudices...they have to learn how to get by them instead of feeding the prejudices with discrimination...there is a difference.

Teach them responsibility. They and they alone are responsible for their actions. For each action there is an equal and sometimes opposite reaction.

Of course part of the problem is, is that we forgot these things.:sad:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,640 Posts
Make it legal to smack your children on the a$$ without the chance of them reporting you and having the authorities drag you away.

I can't stand to see the whiny little kids these days. My Dad would have wrapped my a$$ without a thought and I would get the message real quick. I don't condone abuse, but a good spanking whenever needed when they are young goes a long way to teaching them what is right and wrong. If you can get the kids to act well, the schooling system will be able to teach instead of just trying to keep the classrooms under control.

Make all of the elected officials (house/senate) pay at $35,000 a year. They already have enough perks. Make it so they cannot give themselves pay raises at midnight sessions. If you keep the pay low, then only the people who want to do the job will be in position. Give them two weeks vacation - that's it. Why should the elected servants of the USA have better perks then the average person. How could they ever understand what the normal Joe goes through when money and time are no issue. Make it real for them.

Let the market do what it is suppose to do. There is no such thing as to big to fail. Oh, it might suck. But you have to weed out the people who that take a risk and lose. Plain and simple. You fail, your out - Try again.

·
Banned
846 Posts
If I were in charge?

Well first I'd get rid of Congress. There's already a Senate, that's enough representaton for the people. Congress costs too much.

I'd get rid of the two party system. Having more than one poltical party is divisive.

Flat 40% income tax across the board. I don't care how rich or poor you are, 40 cents out of every dollar you make goes to the government.

Assume full control of the military and declare myself leader for life. These 4 and 8 year terms don't allow anything to get done.

Annex Canada and Mexico. Both countries have resources useful to us.

Put all middle eastern oil fields under full US military control. The rest of the world wants oil? Fine, they can buy surplus from us.

Socialized medicine, health care for all the people.

Establish a secret police to keep the people in check.

Seize all privately owned firearms to secure my base of power.

Tighten up the laws and penalties. 3 strikes and you're out. I mean out. Put up against a wall and shot.

Jail/prison is expensive, let's bring back floggings in the town square for minor infractions.

Too any American jobs are going overseas. We don't have a manufacturing base anymore. So any imported goods get a 500% duty. Build American, Buy American!

Kids today don't have any discipline or direction. Nuns with rulers in all schools. Also I would segregate the students according to intelligence. Smart kids get on a fast track to college education, not so smart kids get taught labor or trade skills. The dumb ones will work in fast food.

75% pay increase across the board for the military.

So if you want real change remember to vote for Bob in the 2012 elections! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
846 Posts
Bob for dictator....
The term I prefer is "Exalted and Wise Leader of the American People". EWLAP for short.

Bob in charge :blink:- and we'll live in Soviet Union.:no:
I'm not changing the name. It'll still be the United States of America. Just a few minor changes that come with the new management. You'll hardly notice, unless you're foolish enough to leave your papers at home.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
How would I fix it?
I'd start by rewarding those that do it right, & not reward those that don't. Life in it's simplist form is a series of choices, followed by the resulting consequences of those choices. If you reward bad behavior, what do you expect to happen? Tough love is the only answer to the mess we're in, & it'll only get worse until that happens.
Joe

1 - 20 of 47 Posts