Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, check out the picture, this is on my own house, I will be doing the shingling on this one myself as times have been a little tough for everyone. I will be using Landmark TL's, so weaving is not a good option and I think this looks like (explative)......, was thinking a cut valley as this is the technique I will be using on the rest of the house? Of course the back of the house creates just the oppositte problem, a small hip that I think the shingles will be able to form too or might I be better off running H/R down over the bend(not sure this would look best), it is an odd spot!

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
None taken, But if I did that would I be asking what to do with it? We are done the interior and now working exterior. Bought the house in foreclosure. That lot is unparraled in these parts. Yes the roof is ugly, can't wait to getthe IKO junk off the front of the house, and frankly there is barely any asphalt left on the back.......

Outlaw, if I understand you correctly, shingle the middle, then bring the 2 sides in, creating a V shaped valley, if so how open should I leave the bottom? I had not thought of having two cuts in there?????

It seems like they originally should have just run it straight into the house ratherthan putting a little turn in. I have no idea why they did that..... I guess why wonder at this point, just clean it up!

·
Registered
291 Posts

Outlaw, if I understand you correctly, shingle the middle, then bring the 2 sides in, creating a V shaped valley, if so how open should I leave the bottom? I had not thought of having two cuts in there?????

Yeah, exactly.

I would weave the first course. As far as cutting, the "tamko" style valley should suffice.

Or just reframe it. If it were my house, I would reframe it. I couldn't stand looking at that stuff every day.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts

Yeah, exactly.

I would weave the first course. As far as cutting, the "tamko" style valley should suffice.

Or just reframe it. If it were my house, I would reframe it. I couldn't stand looking at that stuff every day.
Then after you are done with that find the original builder and kick his azz

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Another vote to re-frame it.
Two valleys coming together
at the bottom can't be good.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Figure it's not worth the trouble
to dig him up.
Surely he's hiding in a very deep hole. :laughing:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'd also opt to fix it with framing.

That small of an area you are not going to have much into materials to fix that problem the right way.

Getting it framed right, might be a head ache, but you won't have to look at that every time you come home.

You are probably a better framer than me, and I'd reframe it, so no excuse :)

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
None taken, But if I did that would I be asking what to do with it? We are done the interior and now working exterior. Bought the house in foreclosure. That lot is unparraled in these parts. Yes the roof is ugly, can't wait to getthe IKO junk off the front of the house, and frankly there is barely any asphalt left on the back.......

It seems like they originally should have just run it straight into the house ratherthan putting a little turn in. I have no idea why they did that..... I guess why wonder at this point, just clean it up!

Now you are telling us you remodeled the inside and now are going to address the roof??
Something sounds off with that order of work.

Now I guess I know what I am looking at, your house, take the time to fix the framing properly. Now you understand about the question of your order of construction.
Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So true, our projects come after the bills get payed. The wife wanted to get the inside done first, and it was plenty weather tight, what was another 6 months, so the exterior has waited. Plus I am trying to keep the assesor away, already have an $11k tax bill.
I double checked and just as I recalled it, absolutely no reason for the jog in Ridge, other than maybe someone thought that was a good solution(WTF):jester:! I agree re-frame, simple job, just more time....., I could not stand to look at a V valley like that for the next who knows how many years....still will look a little funky, but better than the alternative. At the price of the TL's, I am nevre doing this roof again!

·
Registered
403 Posts
So true, our projects come after the bills get payed. The wife wanted to get the inside done first, and it was plenty weather tight, what was another 6 months, so the exterior has waited. Plus I am trying to keep the assesor away, already have an $11k tax bill.
I double checked and just as I recalled it, absolutely no reason for the jog in Ridge, other than maybe someone thought that was a good solution(WTF):jester:! I agree re-frame, simple job, just more time....., I could not stand to look at a V valley like that for the next who knows how many years....still will look a little funky, but better than the alternative. At the price of the TL's, I am nevre doing this roof again!
Dam 11k tax bill, I feel for you.

I get hit pretty hard on some investment properties because they are not primary residents.

I complain about taxes to everyone. I pay 30% off any income I make right off the bat, then have to pay to register vehicles to drive on the road, extra tax on gas, cell phones, land lines, I pay it on cable, internet providers.

Then Property tax, Sales tax on anything I buy. I've never figured it, what I bring it, probably more than 50% goes to taxes between the income tax and all the other taxes that are paid on things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts