Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, time to toot my own horn.
My comapny took top honors in a national wallcovering competition.
First place in the commercial category of the Winning Walls With Wallcovering contest.

The check was nice, the plaque is nice, bragging rights for a year is even better.
But how would you market this and capitalize off it to better your business?

I have some ideas, but curious what others would do with it.

And BTW, if I had a clue that I was going to win, I would have got a haircut, and wore a nicer shirt.

Attachments

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Congradulations!

How about taking out a full or half page add in your local or state newspaper. In it include details of the competition and a thank you letter to the NGPP?

Or better yet get a local or state reporter to write a story about it. Call the nightly local news, I think you would be surprised at how interested they would be to do a "filler" story about it. I think you can actually pay them to do a story, with a camera crew, at a job site.

Then you could further capitalize on the "as seen on TV" aspect or republish and articles written ad nauseum.

A newsletter type mass mailing to everyone you think would need to know?

Obviously a full page write up with links on your website.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
That is awesome! Congratulations on being recognized as a real pro. It gives me something else to aspire towards.

Can you approach the NGPP about sponsoring your promo? They'll benefit from the exposure as well.

IMO, print ads are a waste of a sub's money in the commercial GC market. GC estimators and purchasing agents aren't spending time perusing the local ABC chapter magazine or looking through the Blue Book. And while a good word from the site superintendent will give you the 'edge' when all other things are equal (I'm guessing the recognition that lead to your award originated at the jobsite) it's the guys in the office that are 'spreading out' the bids for subcontract award. I think the commercial market doesn't care about your success - only theirs. My promotional efforts are aimed at quickly making decision makers aware of how my successful track record can contribute to theirs.

If you're into attending the local GC association meetings, look for a way to be recognized for your accomplishment during one or more meeting(s) and then glad hand with everyone you can. Whether that's your gig or not, you might also benefit from direct mail (or even E-mail) campaign to estimators, purchasing agents and, where practical, owners. If it were me I'd do a short paragraph about receiving the award from NGPP that includedthe project details. Then a paragraph listing my most recent or otherwise noteworthy projects, then close with contact information (2/3 of a page max). I'd enclose (2) business cards.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Perfect time for a
Press Release
Write it up for them, you can probably find a template somewhere
Heck you've probably done them before
Send it to all the local papers

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Oh hey, congrats on that too man
Good Job!

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Way to go PWG, you make us all proud! I'd do the press release bit slick said. Add that award to your website and all your marketing materials. Maybe even make a newsletter detailing your award to all of your previous clients. It may make a few of them pick up the phone for something new.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice job Pro-I like AA's idea of sending a mailer to existing client base showing them you are proud of the award. This will get you in their thoughts and may just be brought up at the next dinner party. I don't think housewifes ever stop thinking about changing something in the house.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to send it to former customers too.

It'd be a good way to bring your name to the front of their brains, and maybe they'd tell their friends that an award winning contractor worked on their house.

"Oh really? What's his name/company name?"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts