Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First time post. I'd like to just get some input on a job I'm doing. I'm trimming out a house and doing wainscoting pillars for a client. Everything will be painted and made up from MDF and primed pine. They want this look but a lot wider

Stairs Property Arch Architecture Column

And they want them installed around the 2x4 post in the middle of this picture.

Wall Room Ceiling Property Interior design

So usually the contractor has the column drywalled out and they usually want them relative to the size of the post that is there. So usually I would just make up the frames and attach them working around with dominos and glue, no big deal. But they would like me to make the pillar size approximately 2ft wide around. Would it be easier and faster in your opinions to just make up the 12ft panels and work around gluing and attaching with blocking as needed or should I take the time to frame out the column with 2x's and attach to that.

I think I should frame out the column but I'm basically just looking for any input or better ideas for getting it done quickly but more importantly correctly.

Thanks
Scott

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
Draw it out to scale. Then you will know how to build it. Make sure you charge for your time designing and drawing.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Those are 2 column bases, albeit grossly out of proportion, stacked upon one another. I know you will have to build what the HO wants but do yourself a favor and by extension your customer a favor and do a bit of research into classical column orders.
It is a peculiar look.

As for your original question: I think it would be simpler to frame out the column first.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Most people get looked at with a lot of skepticism on their first post as a possible DIYer. Wise move posting a pic with your kapex. Welcome.

I'm with CFO on framing it out first.

My other thought would be that pine is way to soft for a column. So much as bump clear pine and its got a dent. Poplar, though not "hard", is still worlds better than clear pine.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
As the designer, you will be in the loop if they don't like the final look.

I suggest you make a mock up using cheap materials so they can see the finished proportions----or insist they get someone to design them for you.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm with Keith.

Although I know exactly where you come from. I've had it with trying to talk sense into the minds of most customers. That's why I'm ending my remodeling career.

Anyways, to be on topic, what's the beam above going to look like? That would drive the size of the post for me.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input. The beam at top is going to stay like that since each of the front two rooms have two piece crown. I read old post from Keith talking about learning proportions and just not doing a trim job and keeping tight miters and good reveals. That being said I'm not expert on proportions. I've read some stuff from the links those guys posted in those threads, but I'd love to hear how big you guys think it should be around. They want chair rail in the dining room next to the column. So I'm going to have chair rail about 36" up from the floor. The truss header from the ceiling is 16" down. The column from floor to the bottom of the header is 11-6". Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks
Scott

·
Hack
3,013 Posts
Maybe a knee wall return at the chair rail height to the wall, with the wainscot panelling on both sides of the column?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts