Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
YB
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honest question: How up to date are you with technology?

I often run into this divide with contractors where some of the old school guys refuse to make the change from the dashboard full of receipts, invoices and such and the guy who has gone full digital with almost every aspect of their business.

Are any of you using any CRM systems like ZOHO?

What do you use to organize all your leads, invoices and work receipts so that tax season isn't such a nightmare?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
lol

Do you use any program in particular?
I use a Google doc spread sheet and type em in as I go, then I reconcile with my account statements and punch it into QuickBooks.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I'm a caveman with a smart phone if that is considered being up to date with technology.
I haven't figured out everything the phone does yet, but I'm happy with being able to snap a few pictures and most importantly how to work a reminder, so now I know when its my anniversary, or my wife's Bday even my Bday sometimes for that matter... as business goes, the schedules, the appointments, inspections, when orders due to come in, etc I keep in my head... can't let the old noodle to dry out by the time I'm 60, have to keep the air out between my ears :laughing:

As everything else goes, 73" smart TV, blue-rays, surround sound throughout the house and back yard, indoor gym, now kids want to stick a swim spa into the basement :laughing: and all the other s*^t to pile on top of it... what else is out there?

·
YB
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a caveman with a smart phone if that is considered being up to date with technology.
I haven't figured out everything the phone does yet, but I'm happy with being able to snap a few pictures and most importantly how to work a reminder, so now I know when its my anniversary, or my wife's Bday even my Bday sometimes for that matter... as business goes, the schedules, the appointments, inspections, when orders due to come in, etc I keep in my head... can't let the old noodle to dry out by the time I'm 60, have to keep the air out between my ears :laughing:

As everything else goes, 73" smart TV, blue-rays, surround sound throughout the house and back yard, indoor gym, now kids want to stick a swim spa into the basement :laughing: and all the other s*^t to pile on top of it... what else is out there?
smart phone is a huge step. My father in law is a general contractor and has recently gotten into using his iPhone more and more for work. I use him a guinea pig for a lot of updates and features I want to roll out. If he can do it I figure most anyone can. He's also extremely critical and gives really good feedback.

I'm just wondering how many use tablets and smart phones now instead of the stacks of paper.

I want to incorporate a receipt management system and invoicing system that can be done via any smartphone. It's no good though if people aren't using smart phones in the field.

It seems that with otter boxes and such more and more contractors are using smart phones without the worry of them breaking like in the (recent) past.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have a trac flip phone works pretty good

have a 10 year old desk top computer works pretty good

have a 25 year old truck runs a little rich, alittle bit of oil smoke and gas smell, but its solid

have people constantly trying to get me to pay for website based leads for work, I try not to laugh at them and be nice, but my business is fully based off of referrals, I turn work away regularly

my dollar volume of work is pretty impressive for a "small" remodeling company

I have yet to see how "techmology" really helps improve a contracting business. I see people playing with their gadgets and screwing with them more than actually working techonology helps people pretend that they are busy and prepared to answer questions.

but yet I can opening my folder for a job and easily pinpoint an answer to a question by a customer I can open another folder related to to the job and show you all the receipts and a spreadsheet full of expensese for a job and know exactly where I am at.

smart phones tablets computer programs apps and the what not are just BS they don't make anyone a better contractor salesman or record keeper they just divert people from the task at hand

I wouldn't waste any money on a tablet or a smart phone

·
YB
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

have a 25 year old truck runs a little rich, alittle bit of oil smoke and gas smell, but its solid

have people constantly trying to get me to pay for website based leads for work, I try not to laugh at them and be nice, but my business is fully based off of referrals, I turn work away regularly

I have yet to see how "techmology" really helps improve a contracting business. I see people playing with their gadgets and screwing with them more than actually working techonology helps people pretend that they are busy and prepared to answer questions.

but yet I can opening my folder for a job and easily pinpoint an answer to a question by a customer I can open another folder related to to the job and show you all the receipts and a spreadsheet full of expensese for a job and know exactly where I am at.

smart phones tablets computer programs apps and the what not are just BS they don't make anyone a better contractor salesman or record keeper they just divert people from the task at hand

if it ain't broke don't fix it stands very true for many. Can't knock it if it's working =)

Now in the same sense I would say you can't knock certain technologies if you haven't tried them either.
A folder is nice, but things happen and backing up a folder vs. backing up files, say, in the cloud are totally different. Search functions, accessibility, easy to share, bill etc. all have their value and could in a sense save you time and allow you to turn away a little less work. Some operations are larger and have more to manage and maybe technology is a currently a better fit. I see many advantages things like smartphones and tablets can offer a contractor.

"smart phones tablets computer programs apps and the what not are just BS they don't make anyone a better contractor salesman or record keeper they just divert people from the task at hand"

I beg to differ big time here. I think there are many applications/programs that make you a better record keeper, being able to price and source materials on site would allow you to give more accurate and faster estimates and allow you more time to actually do work. (this all varies from contractor to contractor of course, but the benefits are there)

That all being said, some people just are too busy to spend time learning something new especially if the gain is minimal and thats totally understandable.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts

Unfortunately having an established business is not apples to apples trying to start one from scratch today. The world is a much different place.

While spread sheets are a must, IMO, running things through accounting software can give you quicker and more precise reports and the ability to streamline your operation.

I am going to assume that you are strictly speaking from your own experience because it's not true for most businesses today.

I am also a small operation and my smart phone, tablet and connectivity gives me a competitive advantage over those that don't know how to use them as efficiently.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

Ignorance is bliss.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
fast fred said:
I have a trac flip phone works pretty good have a 10 year old desk top computer works pretty good have a 25 year old truck runs a little rich, alittle bit of oil smoke and gas smell, but its solid have people constantly trying to get me to pay for website based leads for work, I try not to laugh at them and be nice, but my business is fully based off of referrals, I turn work away regularly my dollar volume of work is pretty impressive for a "small" remodeling company I have yet to see how "techmology" really helps improve a contracting business. I see people playing with their gadgets and screwing with them more than actually working techonology helps people pretend that they are busy and prepared to answer questions. but yet I can opening my folder for a job and easily pinpoint an answer to a question by a customer I can open another folder related to to the job and show you all the receipts and a spreadsheet full of expensese for a job and know exactly where I am at. smart phones tablets computer programs apps and the what not are just BS they don't make anyone a better contractor salesman or record keeper they just divert people from the task at hand I wouldn't waste any money on a tablet or a smart phone
Before the ipad I had a printer in my truck. I was wasting a hundred bucks a week on ink and paper to show customers before and after pictures of roof and gutter work. Now I take a picture with the ipad and show them. Ipad was 600 bucks, I've saved enough time to justify buying 10 more if I wanted to. Additionally, I can email the pictures, make estimates on the fly, get signatures on contracts and accept payments.

image-2119485824.jpg

image-366930614.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts