Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the "cleanest" way to handle the grounds in a 3 gang box with 3 single pole switches (plastic)? Obviously you have one from the feed and 3 outgoing ones. Combine that with 3 pigtails and that makes 7. ?? I read somewhere where a guy suggested combining the 4 (1 feed and 3 outgoing) with a 10" long pigtail that goes from switch to switch. ??? Not sure if that is OK.

·
hack of all trades
1,123 Posts
I'd use a jumper to tie all 3 switches together and only have 5 spliced vs 7. seven is quite a nasty bundle. I hate the romex and bare EGC

·
Registered
16 Posts
We leave the wires long enough to have one that will reach all 3 switches. Bundle all the grounds, keep the longest one, and tie together with a green wire nut. Saves wire from pigtailing' and saves time.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
What is the "cleanest" way to handle the grounds in a 3 gang box with 3 single pole switches (plastic)? Obviously you have one from the feed and 3 outgoing ones. Combine that with 3 pigtails and that makes 7. ?? I read somewhere where a guy suggested combining the 4 (1 feed and 3 outgoing) with a 10" long pigtail that goes from switch to switch. ??? Not sure if that is OK.
Take a long piece of wire and pencil off the jacket a few inches apart, bend a U, now you have a jumper wire instead of a dozen pigtails.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
I use crimps. Twist them all at the point where you'd like the splice to end, then cut off all but the number of devices you have. This way you have a nice clean splice and enough tails for each device.
I used to do the one long tail but HATE that method now. MUCH cleaner and easier to have a tail for each device.

·
Electrical Contractor
244 Posts
We leave the wires long enough to have one that will reach all 3 switches. Bundle all the grounds, keep the longest one, and tie together with a green wire nut. Saves wire from pigtailing' and saves time.
We do the same. This way you don't have 7 or 8 wires under one wirenut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts