Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of painting to do at an office building. They have wall to wall carpet and then the carpet goes up the wall a few inches instead of having molding. I started today. I tried taping it, but I couldn't really tuck the tape in very well with the spackle knife. When I took the tape off, it left a thin line unpainted. It is very visible because of the angle. Any tips on how to handle this?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel stupid. I actually never tried one. I always thought they were for weenies who couldn't cut a straight line. How does that work? Do I have to wipe it off each time I move it?

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
I'd take another shot at the masking tape. Try putting it on flatter leaving 1/8" or more on the wall, then push it down with your fingers or a 6" putty knife. If you use wider tape, it will hold the inner edge away from the wall a little better. Something like that.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
I feel stupid. I actually never tried one. I always thought they were for weenies who couldn't cut a straight line. How does that work? Do I have to wipe it off each time I move it?
I haven't had to use one but a few times. I just use a 10" drywall knife and run the brush in the middle and move the knife along with the brush. You may occasionally have to wipe it off.

·
Pro Painters
38 Posts
Push down on your brush until you flatten the the bristles out. Cut it in running a few bristles behind the carpet. You'll never learn using mud knives. That's for noobs.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Push down on your brush until you flatten the the bristles out. Cut it in running a few bristles behind the carpet. You'll never learn using mud knives. That's for noobs.
The carpet it's most likely glued down. So there is likely no way to get the bristles behind anything. There is no way you are cutting that with out getting paint on the carpet.

Talk about noobs. You need to be open to any solution regardless of your ego or what others might think.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it's glued on there. I'm thinking a hybrid approach. Just use the mud knife to pull the carpet out of the way.

Either that or a low tack tape that might tuck better. I usually don't use blue tape unless I'm worried about damaging the substrate.

Thanks guys!

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Usually the carpet is glued down, then the base strip is glued to the wall kind of like vinyl cove base. A lot of it has the top edge bound. Might be able to pull it back a quarter inch or so at the top and paint behind it.

Commercial carpet is usually glued down loop pile. doesn't soak paint up like cut pile stretched in residential garbage. If you get a drop on it, it usually cleans pretty easily with a wet rag. I've also used mineral spirits thinner on it on a number of occasions without ill effect in case you need something stronger for some reason - I used to install the stuff ...

It's pretty rare that I ever tape anything off - only if it's in a hard to get spot where no matter how I use the brush it's going to tag something.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Yeah, it's glued on there. I'm thinking a hybrid approach. Just use the mud knife to pull the carpet out of the way.
This sounds good. It's probably full spread glued, and will go right back. If for some reason it gets jacked, just get some adhesive in a caulk tube and apply sparingly so it doesn't squeeze out the top.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
I feel stupid. I actually never tried one. I always thought they were for weenies who couldn't cut a straight line.
No, that's tape you're thinking of :laughing:

There is no way you are cutting that with out getting paint on the carpet.

You need to be open to any solution regardless of your ego or what others might think.
You better watch your mouth, you're talking to a master painter. He's "That Guy!". Possibly the greatest painter that ever was or ever will be!

That being said, his way IS the fastest way often times. It is possible - I do it all the time. I don't think he was really trying to be a dick though. If he was his response would have been more like "You're an idiot, that way is for noobs." without any real good suggestions. The only problem with his suggestion is that for somebody that hasn't done it a good bit it's way slow, and lots of mistakes requiring scrubbing carpet with wet rag for a while

In residential with cut pile fuzzies all over the base - I hold it down with a 10" tape knife though :whistling

Reactions: Grateful_Monk

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
No, that's tape you're thinking of :laughing:

You better watch your mouth, you're talking to a master painter. He's "That Guy!". Possibly the greatest painter that ever was or ever will be!

That being said, his way IS the fastest way often times. It is possible - I do it all the time. I don't think he was really trying to be a dick though. If he was his response would have been more like "You're an idiot, that way is for noobs." without any real good suggestions. The only problem with his suggestion is that for somebody that hasn't done it a good bit it's way slow, and lots of mistakes requiring scrubbing carpet with wet rag for a while

In residential with cut pile fuzzies all over the base - I hold it down with a 10" tape knife though :whistling
I never watch my mouth.

Fast and good are not the same. If you load your brush and cut against carpet you are going to, at some point, get paint on the carpet. Using a knife, as I suggested, is the same method you suggest with a 10" knife. They both use a tool to separate the carpet from the brush.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If the edge is bound just use duct tape.

All the above methods are valid, including just using your brush to get behind the carpet. I'm also "that guy". Occasionally, I have to cut some high pile springy carpet, so even if you use an edger, the fibers will spring right onto the wall and stick in the paint. Sometimes, there is material, like sand or just dirt between the carpet and wall. Running the edger will cause it to pop up and stick to the paint.

There are just times when it pays to be able to "push" the brush behind the carpet. I guess, in this case, it comes down to bound or unbound.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Tnt: you CAN brush between trim & carpet with nothing but a brush & not get paint on the carpet.

I'll prove it with pics.

As far as the O.P. goes: go to sherwin williams & get some 3m 2020 tape. It's high tack tan tape that is best for your scenario.

Tape it once, or use a shield (putty knife, whatever) & you will be stopping to clean it. This coming from a shield whore.

As far as not covering the lip perfectly, the only thing thats gonna fix that is practice.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Tnt: you CAN brush between trim & carpet with nothing but a brush & not get paint on the carpet.

I'll prove it with pics.

As far as the O.P. goes: go to sherwin williams & get some 3m 2020 tape. It's high tack tan tape that is best for your scenario.

Tape it once, or use a shield (putty knife, whatever) & you will be stopping to clean it. This coming from a shield whore.

As far as not covering the lip perfectly, the only thing thats gonna fix that is practice.
If the carpet is touching the trim, without pulling the carpet away, physics is still at play. As soon as the brush touches the carpet with wet paint on it, it will transfer to the carpet. Unless you pull it away how do you not get paint on it?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Is there a carpet forum in here? The O.P. has a special situation where the carpet is attached to the wall. I just wonder how the carpet guys do that? Is there a metal tack strip holding it? This would be a clue as to how to paint it.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
I never watch my mouth.

Fast and good are not the same. If you load your brush and cut against carpet you are going to, at some point, get paint on the carpet. Using a knife, as I suggested, is the same method you suggest with a 10" knife. They both use a tool to separate the carpet from the brush.
Yes I agree, but if it happens infrequently and you keep a wet rag handy to fix it, it is possible. And it's usually faster to not mask.

Fast isn't always good, but getting the same result faster is better.

I was being snippety with the other guy with the "that guy" comment and that you should shut your mouth - as if you, and all of the rest of the world should bow to the almighty super-painter. I don't ACTUALLY think you should shut your mouth when speaking to the almighty superpainter (aka "That Guy") :laughing:

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Yes I agree, but if it happens infrequently and you keep a wet rag handy to fix it, it is possible. And it's usually faster to not mask.

Fast isn't always good, but getting the same result faster is better.

I was being snippety with the other guy with the "that guy" comment and that you should shut your mouth - as if you, and all of the rest of the world should bow to the almighty super-painter. I don't ACTUALLY think you should shut your mouth when speaking to the almighty superpainter (aka "That Guy") :laughing:
I agree. I just think a shield is a valid option.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts