Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone....
I have a client that wants a 8' x 9' free standing wall built to separate the entry way from the formal dining area. Problem is... The home is on a concrete slab with marble tile floors, so no floor joists to anchor into, and the ceiling is 16' high.
How can I build this wall and give enough strength and support so not to wobble or even fall over. I will try to upload a pic of the design they are wanting but this is my first time posting in this forum.
Any advice appreciated

IMG_3530.PNG

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
Bore hole through floor & slab large enough to set 4x4/3x3 square tube.

Go 24" deep or better, enlarge dirt cavity as permitted and set in hydraulic cement.

Steel can be 24"( or more) below top of your wall.

·
improving homes
1,034 Posts
So that is just a picture of a wall you are planning to build? I would use at least 2x6 if not 2x8 for the framing. There are a number of different methods you could use to anchor it. I think I would just use some bigger wedge anchors to bolt down the bottom plate. Use a big washer or even a piece of steel to make sure the nut can't be pulled through the wood if someone really pushes on the wall. You could also use all thread epoxied or set with anchoring cement. Just make sure to use enough and set them in the right locations. Frame it up and then like mentioned sheet the whole thing with 1/2" sheathing. Make sure the sheathing is attached to the bottom plate good, maybe even a double bottom plate so you aren't screwing the sheathing right on the edge. Use some glue also. Then drywall as usual or whatever.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Bore hole through floor & slab large enough to set 4x4/3x3 square tube.

Go 24" deep or better, enlarge dirt cavity as permitted and set in hydraulic cement.

Steel can be 24"( or more) below top of your wall.
This of course is the best way, or at least point of diminishing returns. I'd think steel just 3 or 4' up would do pretty well.

My gut tells me that wedge anchors and most other methods won't make a very solid wall if it looks something like the example pic.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Along with the great tips above, we frame walls similar to this with double top and bottom plates, and then additional end studs full height screwed into the ends. All screws, no nails. Also sheath with ply. All-thread epoxied into the slab and then a big square washer through the first top plate clamps it down nice and tight.

I would second at-least 2x8, but offset smaller steel columns. IMO 4 smaller posts, staggered on both sides on the wall, will be more effective than two larger posts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts