Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first, just wanted to say what great info is available on this site. Now second, I am getting ready to install tile in a shower on the walls over Redguard. How do I support the 2nd row of tiles without disturbing the waterproof membrane on the walls? I'm using 24"x12" tiles running vertically, offset of one another. Sounds fun, eh!

Vic

·
Tile Pro - Consulting
331 Posts
Attach a 1x4 ledger to the wall and stack on that. Remove the next morning and apply more waterproofing on the small screw holes. Or, stack tiles on the floor and place the ledger on that.

What did you use as the backer? How many coats of Redguard will you be applying? Is this a shower or tub surround?

Jaz

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
I don't know if this trick will work over redguard - but it works on kerdi, drywall, and cultured marble (all I have ever tried it on) - but should work anywhere masking tape will stick.

where ever you need the support put a couple of rows of masking tape
(1 1/2" wide) - next, use hot glue to glue on a pc of ply strip or strapping - hold it for 5-10 seconds and you are done. Tile then pull off the strip or strap the next day along with the tape.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about the lack of intro guys. Here we go:

It's a shower with 2 walls and a hotmopped shower pan. The walls consist of 1/2 Wonderboard. As of right now, I have 3 coats of Redguard on the walls but I went to thin on the first coat. Thinking I need one more coat. I have around 45sgft of wall space plus a niche and have about 1/5th of a 1 gal. bucket left.

Naptown and Jazman: That's the normal way to do it, attaching the ledger but I have never used Redguard before and didn't know if I could puncture it and fill it back in with no problems. And as for stacking up tiles, one row will be 24" up the wall. Long way to stack!

Jarvis: I'm using really big tiles and don't think that would hold the weight.

·
Tile Pro - Consulting
331 Posts
The size of the tiles doesn't matter. The thin set is doing most of the holding, just need a little support to keep them from sliding.

OK, 24" is a long way up. How about using 6 boxes of tile, or whatever is handy. At that height I recommend screws and a dab of Redguard or silicone if you didn't have Redguard.

Jaz

·
Tile Pro - Consulting
331 Posts
That's what it is too...cool sh*t, for this case anyway.:laughing: It only extends to about 8", and probably costs a couple hundred. :w00t:

I don't think you'll ever see me using those on a shower I build.:rolleyes:

Jaz

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To DarrenB: First, I'm not a Fru Fru Designer. I'm a guy(That's straight). Hints the name VIC. Or can you not read? Second, I spent 8 years in the US Army and have been doing construction work for years, also, I have been on multiple shows on HGTV as a carpenter and design assistant. I sub out work I don't know how to do but just wanted to know other peoples opinion on REDGUARD since I have never used it or seen it used before. And as for the DIY comment, I see many, many, many posts that ask advice from people here, some of which have given me great advice and I have also found a new cabinet guy from here. So I would appreciate you to just keep your uneducated responses to yourself.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
To DarrenB: First, I'm not a Fru Fru Designer. I'm a guy(That's straight). Hints the name VIC. Or can you not read? Second, I spent 8 years in the US Army and have been doing construction work for years, also, I have been on multiple shows on HGTV as a carpenter and design assistant. I sub out work I don't know how to do but just wanted to know other peoples opinion on REDGUARD since I have never used it or seen it used before. And as for the DIY comment, I see many, many, many posts that ask advice from people here, some of which have given me great advice and I have also found a new cabinet guy from here. So I would appreciate you to just keep your uneducated responses to yourself.
Well don't go and listen to ANY of the so called pros that do tile work on that network.....I've yet to see a job done correctly. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I would fill in the screw holes with a good quality paintable caulk and then redguard over them.

Redguard will span small holes but sometimes it takes multiple coats to make it happen.

I'm sure the silicone in the holes would work too, I just like the idea of a continuous barrier of the same material better. I also don't trust silicone in contact with masonary materials. It leeches something out of the masonary and thereby loses it's bond much more quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again for all the help guys. The ledger boards with caulk and Redguard work fine. I was just a little unsure about it. I always did it the old fashion way. Sometimes I fear change! :laughing:

Btw, anyone here ever take 24"x12" and go vertically with them? Let me just tell you that's fun!

Vic

·
Carpe Diem
20,710 Posts
Thanks again for all the help guys. The ledger boards with caulk and Redguard work fine. I was just a little unsure about it. I always did it the old fashion way. Sometimes I fear change! :laughing:

Btw, anyone here ever take 24"x12" and go vertically with them? Let me just tell you that's fun!

Vic

I did 8x24 vertical. Didn't have any "strange" issues.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts