Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! snow is melting, water seeps through from who knows where under front porch in old wine cellar in Detroit MI. Ive tuck pointed from outside, dug up and seal coated exterior walls. still water seems to come through where basement wall meets floor. Also i exposed some of the cinder block wall and it does seem moist but no sign of exactly where the water could be coming in and forming puddles in basement.
Anyobe with ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
81 Posts
You've listed yourself as a " home remolded" and it sounds like that's exacally what's going to happen. So what's the problem?

·
atlanta
10 Posts
bottom of bsmt OR top of bsmt ? either you missed the spot OR the mtl was incorrect/applied incorrectly,,, what material did you use - roofing cement ? we use either hlm5000 OR hydralastic on exterior walls

·
Registered
26 Posts
First you must find the source of the water infiltration, there are only three types of this. Either the water is rising up from under the structure (hydrostatic pressure), coming in through the wall itself or coming in through an architectural element (sill plate, siding, roofing, pipe penetration, etc).

To eliminate the first of hydrostatic pressure look at the rest of the basement. If there are not other areas of water infiltration at the same level (besides the one area) then you probably can rule that out.

Next I'd look at the sill area outside. Was the snow against the structure? Is landscape material or beds high against the building? Are there poorly caulked pipe chases or cable wires going into the structure? Rule out the easy stuff first. Take a garden hose and an hour of your time to start low and systematically eliminate these items one by one.

Block foundations are only trumped by stacked stone foundations by me. Hollow cavities allow water to enter in one area and cascade like that famous champaign glass scene until it finds a weak spot to exit. Depending on the construction the block may sit on the concrete slab instead of a footing letting the bottom-most block drain out onto the floor. If the wall itself leaks your best bet is an external repair using hydraulic cement and an elastomeric membrane meant for GREEN concrete. Better yet use a belt and suspenders system, I use a trowled membrane with a bentonite overlay on all retrofits with 100% success in the last 3 years since we began using it. HLM5000, TP60, and other products are good but fail in most retrofit applications because of the concretes moisture content.

Only other solution for the wall itself is water management by a French Drain type system... IF THERE IS A FOOTING! Install pipe along the footing, drill weep holes in the bottom course of block and run to a sump pump. I prefer fixing the problem to recycling water though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts