Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys:

I'm interested in starting my own general contracting business when I get older and get more experience in the field. I have a few questions that i may need answers for. Advice is much appreciated.

Q#1. How did a you get started? this is directed at anyone with a general contracting business of his own.

Q#2. How do I start...what's the ground work to lay?

Advice is much appreciated

Ben

·
Super Moderator
10,596 Posts
#1 Generally you get started by working in the field for a number of years to gain experience and make contacts. A lot of General Contractors started out as carpenters, as we usually get to observe a large part of the job and get to coordinate our work with many other subcontractors. I started my business as a subcontractor, but I do general contracting whenever the opportunity presents itself.

#2 You may start by working alongside a general contractor as a foreman/job super and observe and learn over a period of a few years.

Number one works for me although I don't consider myself a full time GC. Many of the contractors that I've worked for also started out by using method #2

·
Registered
463 Posts
I went to trade school in the 70s
started working doing side jobs in high school .
went to collage , hated working indoors.
Started working for a G/C building additions from start to finish .
In 87 i started my own business .
Ive been working ever since and loven it.
It easy to learn a trade its much harder to learn a business. You need to stick with the guys that will teach you the business end .
Most of us don't make money with a hammer any more . bummer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts