Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I destroyed both my rotator cuffs. It's the best excuse really. You should do it too.
both of mine are destroyed also...

these are mostly elderly folks.

don't want to see them get taken advantage of.

little old lady, 82ish, plumber told her $1200 bucks to swap out a 50 gallon electric water heater.

got a dented one from the supply house for $250, i had supply lines in the shop....

done in less than an hour....

and i'm not looking for work....

dam there is a lot of it out there though....

·
Super Moderator
25,770 Posts
Griz has to do the things with his wife that they'd both like to do while they're up to it.

I've known people who planned to do this or that together once they retired, only to be hit by medical issues that prevented it.

This is the time to make memories, not kitchens.
Not to be dark but dudes like Griz begin to decline when they let it go. They got to be busy. That's just the reality. I know him well enough to say it

**** Curt what are you gonna do, play golf???:laughing:

You don't got to work so it should make it more enjoyable id think

·
Super Moderator
25,770 Posts
both of mine are destroyed also...

these are mostly elderly folks.

don't want to see them get taken advantage of.

little old lady, 82ish, plumber told her $1200 bucks to swap out a 50 gallon electric water heater.

got a dented one from the supply house for $250, i had supply lines in the shop....

done in less than an hour....

and i'm not looking for work....

dam there is a lot of it out there though....
Unlike many on here family and close friends I won't take a dime from. I help my brother build his whole house, I help my dad with two of his houses, I've remodeled most of my in-laws house including a master bathroom and kitchen and roof, built a shop for my father-in-law, and many other things without ever taking a dime, I might take some pie though.:laughing:

Widows get a pass with me too. I just hung a screen door for a lady today. Her husband passed last year

Even when I was paying myself seven or eight hundred bucks a week I'd ever took any money for it, I figure I make enough from my real job to not have to charge friends and family. I'm a very blessed man and I don't mind helping out

Neighbors? If they can afford it, they pay. If they don't. They dont.

Fwiw my plumber woulda charged right around 1200.00 for a new water heater installed. At least a grand anyway. Good on you for taking care of her :thumbsup:

My crazy Yankee neighbor is weird, I have given advice bit haven't helped him with anythingn except a stuck door.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
U

Fwiw my plumber woulda charged right around 1200.00 for a new water heater installed. At least a grand anyway. Good on you for taking care of her :thumbsup:

r.

Same here. My plumber always brags he can replace 3 water heaters a day and make more profit than roughing in a whole house. Says there’s no shortage of work either, has one guy doing WH replacements all day, every day.

·
Super Moderator
25,770 Posts
Same here. My plumber always brags he can replace 3 water heaters a day and make more profit than roughing in a whole house. Says there’s no shortage of work either, has one guy doing WH replacements all day, every day.
My old plumber quit working for all builders but me - went to pure service.

Then he fired me too lol. Said he makes more on service.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
44,090 Posts
Unlike many on here family and close friends I won't take a dime from. I help my brother build his whole house, I help my dad with two of his houses, I've remodeled most of my in-laws house including a master bathroom and kitchen and roof, built a shop for my father-in-law, and many other things without ever taking a dime, I might take some pie though.:laughing:

Widows get a pass with me too. I just hung a screen door for a lady today. Her husband passed last year

Even when I was paying myself seven or eight hundred bucks a week I'd ever took any money for it, I figure I make enough from my real job to not have to charge friends and family. I'm a very blessed man and I don't mind helping out

Neighbors? If they can afford it, they pay. If they don't. They dont.

My crazy Yankee neighbor is weird, I have given advice bit haven't helped him with anythingn except a stuck door.
You could always visit my shop and sweep and organize :whistling

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I had a neighbor walk over to the house back in May. She wanted two baths done.

I politely told her that most of our work was done in multimillion-dollar homes and that we were probably in the top 5% in price. I told her that our homes truly do not need work in our price range.

I gave her a name and a number of someone that specialized in baths and that I trusted to do a good job.

About a week later, I saw the guy going in for the estimate (I was doing some yard work). About 15 minutes after that, I saw him leave. He started his truck, gave me the finger and drove off.

To this day I don’t understand why Finley would do that?

:w00t::laughing::lol:

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
My solution is to let my house go to pieces.
Everything looks delapidated and 10 yrs overdo for repair.

Haven't had a single neighbor ask me for anything after the first 3 yrs. been 13yrs in this hose now. I must say it's worked pretty good.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
My solution is to let my house go to pieces.
Everything looks delapidated and 10 yrs overdo for repair.

Haven't had a single neighbor ask me for anything after the first 3 yrs. been 13yrs in this hose now. I must say it's worked pretty good.
Hey, that's my solution as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26,133 Posts
Thst's every contractor's solution.

Except the uppity ones, they want it to look like it's in the parade of homes.:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
25,770 Posts
Thst's every contractor's solution.

Except the uppity ones, they want it to look like it's in the parade of homes.:laughing:
Mine ain't going in the parade of Homes but it's done lol.

If rather spend my time on stuff that makes money - like rentals

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: hdavis
21 - 33 of 33 Posts