Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on an estimate today. The customer said on the phone call that the side of his house was falling! I asked if the siding was and he said no it was the framing. So I had a look see.
The house was probably worth 40k if perfect. The roof was sagged a good 8" in one section, the wall was bowed at least 6". It was obvious there were a few broken rafters and much more hidden rot. I didn't want the job and told him it was out of my league. But I wanted him to understand that fixing the house would not be worth while. I would guess 25-30k to do the repairs. But I didn't want to offend the guy either.
Any ideas on how to let someone like this understand and also stress that his home was not safe? Without offending them?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Who cares if it offends him....
He needs to know...you are doing him a favor...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Who cares if it offends him....
He needs to know...you are doing him a favor...
Better the arrows from a friend than the sweet words of an enemy.

Floorcraft has this pegged.

Tell me the truth, unvarnished, no sugar. This enables me to make choices in reality and not from the comfort of blissful ignorance where wrong decissions cause future agonies.

·
Registered
81 Posts
paul,
I have to ask ...is the house even safe to be occupied? I know how much snow you guys get in the syracuse area. I would have stressed this to the owner, and at least had enough integrity to be concerned for there safety.Theres enough KNUCKLE HEADS out there who would be willing to take advantage of a person like this and cast all safety aside.You should have told him 25 or 30 or more...whatever and the honest reasons why so much . never judge a book by its cover ,he may have just jumped at your offer. Do the right thing ,it can't hurt as much as a roof falling on your head!
Dan

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
MinConst,
You will see many more jobs like the one that you described. If the home owner decides to fix it, and you can handle it, you've gotten yourself a good job. In many cases the homeowner can't afford to get the job done. That may be why he let it go so far. It's always sad to see this stuff, and you will never get used to it.

Take care of that customer the best way that you know how. Be honest and open. If the job is out of your league, try to help him find an honest and competent contractor who can do the job for him.
Best wishes,

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
All great answers Paul. Look out for the guy - what goes around comes around. Maybe he could drop $60K cash on a re-build but can't afford to buy another place. You never know what forces are at play unless you probe.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Many times insurance covers these damages. Maybe he can afford it but just doesn't know it.
Get a good independent adjuster working for you and you will tap into new revenue streams.

·
Registered
318 Posts
When I come across stuff like this, I say to people "Do you have an emotional attachment to this house?" They usually get that what I'm saying is in the open market, it's not worth the repairs but if it's the house grandad built with his hands after immigrating to the US and you want to keep it for sentimental reasons - be prepared to pay for it.

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts