Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Kowboy
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How To Rip Off a Contractor

Hire a contractor to replace your kitchen sink. Give him a $1,000.00 down payment and have him deliver the sink to you before installation. He may call and change the installation date, but the night before the second scheduled installation, call and cancel the job and insist upon a refund.

Since your late cancellation will probably screw up his schedule and cost him money, he’ll probably think a $500.00 refund when you return the sink to him is fair. Ha.

If the contractor was stupid enough to put the deposit on a charge card, simply call the bank and dispute the charges. The contractor will tell the bank that if they give you your money back in full, you’ll have no incentive to return the sink he’s paid for. Of course he is correct. Don’t worry, they’ll do it anyway, the contractor will call to ask when you’re returning his sink, you’ll lie and tell him “Soon.”

He’ll call and email the bank’s customer relations department when they lie and say they’re interested in his feedback. He’ll spend 5 paragraphs explaining their thievery abetting, but the time-out feature on their website will delete it all before he can send it. When he calls to complain, there’s a 25-minute wait and he just doesn’t have that much more time to invest in this money hole. No way is he going to small claims court; he’s bleeding like a stuck pig already.

Never mind the money it took the contractor in advertising to get you to call him. Forget about the time and gasoline his initial visit cost him. So what, you screwed up his schedule and his helper got a day off without pay. You got a free sink. Enjoy.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,005 Posts
Wow.

Again.

Might be time to look at your advertising methods.

Or work methods.

But you’ve been told that before, by guys who do a little bigger projects than sink repairs. 🙄

Guessing you won’t listen this time either.

Then again, a hoss with your luck with women, well, I’m not surprised this keeps happening. 🙄🥺

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,427 Posts
A real contractor wouldn't just deliver the sink the day before installation. He'd just bring it with him the next day.

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
I get money for special orders up front. No way am I on the hook for a grand.

I have a few Generals that I do shower doors for. I will usually order their doors ahead. But I trust them, and know them well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,351 Posts
is this the 6th or 7th time for this type of stuff with you
And it won't stop him from jumping into a thread to give business advice.

Joe, do us a favor and just go bang her. Then start a thread telling us about that. At least there's some comic relief there.

·
Registered
handyman
7 Posts
Wow.

Again.

Or work methods.

But you’ve been told that before, by guys who do a little bigger projects than sink repairs. 🙄

Then again, a hoss with your luck with women, well, I’m not surprised this keeps happening. 🙄🥺
Wow.

Again.

Or work methods.

You all are very interesting to listen to. I have always tried my best to be an upfront and handyman but things still happen. I hope things works out for you if you need a handyman to do those sink jobs I can. .lol

·
General Contractor
7,931 Posts
That would be one sorry A$$ homeowner if she would attempt to do that, it would cost her more and than some, and I'm talking about it in a legal fashion. If there is a contract she has no legs to stand to dispute any charges and she still is on the hook for profit a contractor should have made.
That stupid scenario just doesn't make any sense... 😅

·
Kowboy
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A real contractor wouldn't just deliver the sink the day before installation. He'd just bring it with him the next day.
Yeah, driving to pick up a sink every morning makes a lot more sense than taking advantage of Ferguson's free delivery.

And your "real contractor" remark is the No True Scotsman logical fallacy:

·
Kowboy
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I get money for special orders up front. No way am I on the hook for a grand.

I have a few Generals that I do shower doors for. I will usually order their doors ahead. But I trust them, and know them well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
This was a stock sink and not a special order. You can't remove the charges for my custom made sinks from your charge card.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,427 Posts
Reactions: Mordekyle

·
Kowboy
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You all are very interesting to listen to. I have always tried my best to be an upfront and handyman but things still happen. I hope things works out for you if you need a handyman to do those sink jobs I can. .lol
I appreciate the offer, but you've got to have a plumbing license to replace sinks in Florida. (CFC1430430)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts