Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old ones are easy, just pop out the stop. In the past I've always replaced the entire window, party because of homeowner request, and because I prefer it. However, how would I use these replacement units when the trim appears to be nailed to this stop? I'm sure there's got a be a way to do it, with all the window replacement guys I see running around. do they take off the trim?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
In this day in age where 75 percent of phones have a camera...pics sure would assist your explanation...:blink:

·
Registered
301 Posts
I used to see alot of wood dh's in Mich where the stop is actually about 1.5" wide and half of it is under the casing, nailed to the jamb. if thats what you mean then yup, take casing off or install from outside.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I used to see alot of wood dh's in Mich where the stop is actually about 1.5" wide and half of it is under the casing, nailed to the jamb. if thats what you mean then yup, take casing off or install from outside.

Or get your chisel or MM out and remove it!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I hadn't thought about doing it from the outside, I'll have to look into that one. Yes, I see a lot of 1 1/2" flat stock with the trim nailed over half of it. You'd think they would have made those windows so they could easily install replacement vinyl windows, like they did for us at the turn of the century:laughing:.

I never find any directions on how to install these windows in that type of window, everything is geared toward the older windows with stops.

I also never see much on just replaceing the side jambs, don't know if they are any good.

I'd take pictures but I'm not currently privy to these types of windows. My house has the old beveled leaded glass with stops, and so I put storm windows on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts