Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm completely new to the construction business and trying to learn right / wrongs as I hear different opinions from people around me.

What are some standard approaches to roof leak when dealing with flat metal & concrete roof?

Unlike shingle roofs (mostly in residential buildings), I don't see any obvious way to nail & install tarps & weather guards on metal / concrete roof (mostly in commercial buildings).

Does it make sense to tape & clip tarps on flat metal / concrete roof as shown below? (especially considering thermal expansion & storms in the south?)

I googled "metal roof tarp" but couldn't find anything specific to flat metal roof, I wonder if using tarp is not even a thing for flat metal / concrete roof at all. (for example, would using a sealant be far more efficient way than placing tarps?)

Cloud Sky Blue Azure Water

Thanks.

·
Registered
FL CBC / SC RBC / SC RBI
317 Posts
This is not one size fits all issue. There are too many variables to consider to give a reasonable answer. How much damage is there. How big is the leak. How many leaks are there. How long do you need to protect the structure and what are the environmental conditions to be considered. Sometimes it will be a caulking gun, sometimes a bucket of flex seal, sometimes a small tarping in target areas, sometimes a full tarp covering is needed. Way too many options for such a simplistic scenario being described.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,301 Posts
This is not one size fits all issue. There are too many variables to consider to give a reasonable answer. How much damage is there. How big is the leak. How many leaks are there. How long do you need to protect the structure and what are the environmental conditions to be considered. Sometimes it will be a caulking gun, sometimes a bucket of flex seal, sometimes a small tarping in target areas, sometimes a full tarp covering is needed. Way too many options for such a simplistic scenario being described.
Wait!!

You can’t learn everything you’ll ever want to know by googling it?!

·
Commercial Contractor
Commercial Contracting
2,046 Posts
I’ve never tarped flat or metal roofing systems. When we’ve had to install emergency protection for leaks we have hung a heavy mil plastic on the interior ceiling joists. If there is an office or drop ceiling under the area take out the tiles, if they aren’t ruined already they will be and you need access. 12G hanger wire works perfectly and uninstalls easily after the repair.

Pull it fairly tight but leave a bit of slack in the middle.

If it’s leaking like a sieve nothing will be a long term fix except a proper repair, it can only hold so much weight. Buckets/trash cart/barrels underneath to catch runoff in case it gets through and safety cones for, well, safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts