Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, believe it or not.this is my first bathroom tearout. And do not know how to price just the labor. I am tearing out a 4 x 10 bathroom. Then extending it a foot taking from the surrounding room making it a 5 x 10 to fit a tub. moving plumbing back, put in tub ,tile surround, tile floor and tile 4 ft up the wall including drywall and paint work and pedestal sink. Any help on pricing would be greatly appreciated. By the way i am.new to this site. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
24,739 Posts
It is always...

Labor + Material + Profit + Overhead + PITA = Cost

·
Registered
247 Posts
I usually estimate a full days labor for demo of a bathroom. By the time you tear everything out and get it prepped you usually have the better part of a day in it. I would then say another day for all the framing, plumbing, electrical, another day for drywall and setting tub and subfloor and two days for all the tile. Close to a full week with all the finishing touches. I have myself and one guy and a full bath demo and reno usually takes about a week.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
We frown upon pricing questions here......it's a big no-no:no:

I do have a suggestion however, break down your time allotment - estimate: demolishion, installalation of sub floor, drywall...etc...etc..etc..... Add it up, ...

Your going to have to go over some bumps and potholes until you have something to base both your time and what you should charge for any given project.

Then the next time a similar project comes up, you have some data to help you figure out what the next project is going to cost....

Best of luck,

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Hey guys, believe it or not.this is my first bathroom tearout. And do not know how to price just the labor. I am tearing out a 4 x 10 bathroom. Then extending it a foot taking from the surrounding room making it a 5 x 10 to fit a tub. moving plumbing back, put in tub ,tile surround, tile floor and tile 4 ft up the wall including drywall and paint work and pedestal sink. Any help on pricing would be greatly appreciated. By the way i am.new to this site. Thanks!
I'm sorry, but how could you even ask this question? :no:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I realize pricing is frowned upon. (forbidden) Wouldn't some numbers on man hours be acceptable? As above.
Of course all bathrooms are different, all labor prices are different, and everyone works at a different pace.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I was kind of waiting to see what some moderators would say. I think they will shut it down.
I still think some discussion on time frame should be okay. If nothing else it would serve as a guideline.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Like others have said--pricing is tough on a site with members from 20 countries--

I usually figure a day for two workers----

1/3 dumpster

and a hundred or more for supplies---a roll of carpet protector is $40--trash bags $15---sawsall blades ,roll plastic, tarps and such all ad up---

If this is a low budget customer, they will see no value in the demolition --cheap people are like that--
but--it costs what it costs---so figure it out and present the numbers.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,965 Posts
I was kind of waiting to see what some moderators would say. I think they will shut it down.
We're not totally heartless; a lot depends on how the question is worded. If there's some wiggle room for discussing how to price a job, that's fine and we can all learn a bit.

But if all you want to know is how much I charge, that info is virtually useless without attendant discussion of all the factors deciding that figure. Those are the ones that get shut down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Luckily its not a load Bearing wall. It was originally designed for only a stand up shower not a tub and customer wanted a tub. The vents are in the walls up through the roof, how are those in wall vent caps

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Luckily its not a load Bearing wall. It was originally designed for only a stand up shower not a tub and customer wanted a tub. The vents are in the walls up through the roof, how are those in wall vent caps
Is there anything that is going to prevent the plumbing contractor from reconnecting the vents after the wall is moved?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I figured that I could get away with putting a couple 90's in the plumbing to move it over. I'm the floor guy but I'm stuck doing all of this

1 - 20 of 67 Posts