Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, Any advice on how to price a hardwood refinish project would be appreciated.

Project is as follows

Natural exisiting stain and finish to be sanded off

Floor to be stained with a darker stain

Floor to be finished w/ semi gloss or matte finish (unsure yet)

Now should i price the job as a square ft rate and add my rental costs for the sanding machines or should i figure all my materials and rentals then add a daily rate. Any ideas on a decent rate would be in the philadelphia suburbs? I never price hardwood refinish before so help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Oh' boy.How can we tell you how much to charge?
Do the estimate based on your expenses for that job and a reasonable profit.

Or call a few flooring companies and get their prices and check if your costs allow a profit.

I gave up on hardwood installs years ago,I can not do the work myself as cheaply as I can sub out the work. I add a bit for MY time and then go make money at what I can be efficient at.

-------------MIKE--------------------------

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Hello guys, Any advice on how to price a hardwood refinish project would be appreciated.

Project is as follows

Natural exisiting stain and finish to be sanded off

Floor to be stained with a darker stain

Floor to be finished w/ semi gloss or matte finish (unsure yet)

Now should i price the job as a square ft rate and add my rental costs for the sanding machines or should i figure all my materials and rentals then add a daily rate. Any ideas on a decent rate would be in the philadelphia suburbs? I never price hardwood refinish before so help would be appreciated.
PM me or email me thru website. Can help you with pricing or subs.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
By the way--stay away from "the square foot price" Not all square feet are the same.(BASSWOOD)

Always say $xxx to refinish described area of aprox. XXX square feet.
You do not want some cheap so and so remeasuring your work and asking you to adjust your bill because your measurement differs from his.!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Hardwood floor refinishing in my humble opinion, is one of those trades that is best left to guys who do it all the time. My guy has this vacuum system that could suck the.....(make up your own punch line)

The good part is that dust is almost non-existant. By the time I would rent that, and all the other things, it makes trying to do it myself a bit unrealistic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hardwood floor refinishing in my humble opinion, is one of those trades that is best left to guys who do it all the time. My guy has this vacuum system that could suck the.....(make up your own punch line)

The good part is that dust is almost non-existant. By the time I would rent that, and all the other things, it makes trying to do it myself a bit unrealistic.
I absolutely appreciate the concern, but these days i need to make money when i have the skill, i wish i could make enough to sub everything out but that never seems to work for me, I end up wishing i would have just done it myself. rentals arent to bad as far as the cost, its under $100 a day for the drum sander and edger about 7 bucks for the belts and i have a vac and tack cloth and a monkey could stain, i may have to check out the buffer cost but i hear there are some good poly products that dont even need to be buffed between coats, ahh we'll see im sure i can handle the job i just need to max the profit, up coming shoulder surgery will have me laid up for a few months and i should have invested in aflac years ago!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have enough in the bid to do it over a few times to satisfy your client, that unknowingly has hired you, to learn on their investment?:mad:
See when i do things they get done right the first time, every time. Thats why i dont like to hire guys who think they know it all because usually they are the ones who screw up the worst, by the way nice website floorguy i can really see you know what your doing:notworthy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now, I definitely know you are from my area...:laughing:
Yea for sure, its awful. Anyway i sent you an email thru your website because i couldnt figure out the pm for this forum, i went and scoped the job out yesterday its 550 sqft of oak with a natural finish and all they need done is a refinish with no stain a few planks replaced a toilet uninstalled then re installed and about 75-100 ft of shoe removed and reinstalled i figured a price of 1700 sound about right? i think im on the low side but i can manage for that price and about 3 days work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would just charge a little bit more by the square foot and dot mention the rental cost, we don't want them to think you don't do this very often. That being say i would charge about 3.00 a sf. and that would include everything. If any higher they may not want to do it..

Cody Rhodes
Urban Bath Company- Minneapolis, Mn
http://www.minneapolisbathtubrefinishing.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts