Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. Have been an apprentice electrician for 3 years and just started my own business installing low voltage outdoor lighting. Should I price by fixture or do you guys have another technique? Thanks a lot guys! Take care

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
sparky92 said:
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. Have been an apprentice electrician for 3 years and just started my own business installing low voltage outdoor lighting. Should I price by fixture or do you guys have another technique? Thanks a lot guys! Take care
Welcome. Now find the search button, this question has more answers than Watson can count.

·
General Contractor
8,074 Posts
The formula is ALWAYS:

Labor + Materials + Profit + Overhead + PITA= Cost

They are your numbers, they do not equate to anyone else...:thumbsup:
The explanation cannot get any simpler or be put in words any better than that Bro :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Know your costs to operate a business and know your profit margins. Every job is unique, some are simple and others are a very PITA. If you charge by fixture, it is a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
My electrician just gives me a description with the price. Going by the fixture doesn't always work because there's a lot of other factors such as the length of the run, and access to instal the wiring. We can't offer much more help unless we knew specifics about your job.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Per fixture is great if you know you will be in and out quick, but once you hit something that doesn't go right and it starts to eat up time, you will be kicking yourself for going by the fixture.

Take what Griz said, and if you still want to go by the fixture, take the number you get using Griz's formula and divide by the number of fixtures you are installing and that is your per fixture cost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts